Allpar Forums banner

Will Letting Mechanic Know that I want my old parts back or at least to see them...

26K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  TaxiGirl 
#1 ·
Ok, I have trust issues and I baby my van. The thought of anyone working on it without me being there is horrifying. But, I have reasons not to trust mechanics.

So, that there is not a misunderstanding and so that I can have peace of mind, HOW offensive is it for me to let the mechanic know that I want to see if not get my old parts back?

I do not want to piss him off before he works on my van,. but, it would be much worse if I waited until after the fact.

I hate that I even would have to do this. What do you guys think?

#2 ·
About all you can do is have it written on the work order that you want all your replaced parts back.

Funny thing just happened to me, I bought new tires for my wife's Chrysler 200 and wanted the old ones back.

The tire shop owner wrote "save" on the old tires and "save old tires" on the work order.

When I returned to pick up the mounted new tires there was a set of much better used tires beside them.

My originals were very worn Goodyear LS2's but there were some nice Dunlops stacked in their place.

The owner had no explanation what happened with my tires but replaced them with a much better set !!

Mine were about 20% and the Dunlops are about 80%!!

Got lucky on that one.;)

Thanks
Randy

#5 ·
Wow, that is a switch for sure. I am in the process of uploading a real short video of how my van sounds now. Not that you have never heard the tick before. This one sounds different from the last tick/. Will come back shortly and put a link up

#3 ·
Ok, I have trust issues and I baby my van. The thought of anyone working on it without me being there is horrifying. But, I have reasons not to trust mechanics.

So, that there is not a misunderstanding and so that I can have peace of mind, HOW offensive is it for me to let the mechanic know that I want to see if not get my old parts back?

I do not want to piss him off before he works on my van,. but, it would be much worse if I waited until after the fact.

I hate that I even would have to do this. What do you guys think?

Some states (Ohio for one) requires all motor vehicle repair shops to return any used / defective parts removed from the customers vehicle, unless the customer declines the parts. Several exceptions are parts replaced under warranty, parts exchanged for a core (rebuilt alternator), hazardous waste, or a dangerous item.

#4 ·
I

I ordered and will be supplying all of the parts. I just do not want to piss him off. Just like since Randy told me and also I discovered the Star thing about the valve adjusters, I hope mechanic will not be offended with I bring him a copy of it for reference.

#7 ·
99.9% of the time, I don't let anyone touch my truck. The few times I have, if I want to see the parts, they darn sure better be willing. Any mechanic not willing to show a customer failed/damaged parts frankly isn't much of a mechanic and won't get my business.

If you can't show what failed, or aren't willing to, I'm thinking you're trying to hide something.

Reactions: pt006
#11 · (Edited)
In New York State:

"Authorizing Work

A shop may not perform any services unless you give your permission. If the shop prepares a written work order, it must give you a copy. If you prepare a written work order, the shop must attach it to the invoice. If work is authorized verbally or by telephone, the invoice must show the date, time, and name of the person giving authorization.

Parts

You are entitled to the return of all replaced parts, except warranty and exchange parts, but you must ask for them in writing before any work is done. If you authorize work by phone, the shop must keep any replaced parts, and make them available when you pick up the vehicle."

I would think any reputable mechanic would not balk at returning old parts.

I don't see anything about Texas shops being required to do so.
Consumer Protection - Car Repairs (at https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/cpd/car-repairs )

#13 ·
In New York State:

"Authorizing Work

A shop may not perform any services unless you give your permission. If the shop prepares a written work order, it must give you a copy. If you prepare a written work order, the shop must attach it to the invoice. If work is authorized verbally or by telephone, the invoice must show the date, time, and name of the person giving authorization.

Parts

You are entitled to the return of all replaced parts, except warranty and exchange parts, but you must ask for them in writing before any work is done. If you authorize work by phone, the shop must keep any replaced parts, and make them available when you pick up the vehicle."

I would think any reputable mechanic would not balk at returning old parts.

I don't see anything about Texas shops being required to do so.
Consumer Protection - Car Repairs (at https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/cpd/car-repairs )
I wished it was required by federal law that all parts that were replaced be given the consumer or at least be offered to get the parts back. I could not get Clay Cooley Dodge to give my TIPM back and they said because of core charge. They would would not even show me the part. Later, i re
If the shop and mechanics are good, there should be no problem. I sometimes ask if I am interested in the mode of failure (like a bearing or gear) and it is held against the workman or shop but just a study of the design and quality from the manufacturer. I have had discussions with mechanics standing by the service bay (maybe I have been lucky to find good people).
If the shop and mechanics are good, there should be no problem. I sometimes ask if I am interested in the mode of failure (like a bearing or gear) and it is held against the workman or shop but just a study of the design and quality from the manufacturer. I have had discussions with mechanics standing by the service bay (maybe I have been lucky to find good people).
You are lucky because any mechanic shop including dealerships will not let you be in the shop when they are working on your car. they say it is because of insurance purposes. Heck, Clay Cooley Dodge in Irving has the window between the lobby and the shop, blacked out so that you cannot even see inside the shop at all.
of course i know a good shade tree mechaic but, i am not going to let him replace my camshafts.

#12 ·

#14 ·
I can understand not giving you back the old parts if there is a core charge involved, but there's no reason not to show you what failed.
Blacking out the window shows that they have something to hide.Insurance does want to keep customers out of work areas, but every place I have been has a way to see in the shop, though you should not stand there staring at the person working on your car. An occasional look would be appropriate.

#15 ·
Blacking out the window seems pretty shady.

I've always been allowed to walk in and look at my vehicle getting worked on. Maybe because they know right off the bat they aren't fooling me?

#16 ·
Taxigirl; CT has similar laws as NY and Ohio regarding the returning of replaced parts. What I find a little odd is that they wouldn't return the 'defective' TIPM. You should have gotten a new Chrysler TIPM installed. Not a reman, if there even available. Therefore, no core return would be necessary. And the part number might have an extra letter on the end, such as xxxxxxxxAD rather than the original xxxxxxxxxA part number. IC and others know more about this than I do.

#17 ·
Clay Cooley Dodge told me that there was a core charge of 250 to 400 for TIPM trying to discourage me from getting it back.. I do not really think they actually changed it. Since they told me that the starter relay was shorted I suspect they just changed some relays and not actually the TIPM and still charged me $1205

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.