Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that the reason FCA dropped the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart was for labor union pressures- "Keep those FCA factories humming!" Of course, it was widely reported that the two cars were not selling well. Well, it's my opinion FCA did not continually promote the two and should have built a Dodge version of the 200 from the onset. Recently, living in the hot auto market as So. Cal that I do, I have noticed a great increase of Chevy Malibu TV ads. Yes, we know Ford is dropping the Fusion. So does Chevy know something that FCA (and Ford) don't know? And, I have also read that FCA dealers are unable to allow repeat Chrysler and Dodge sedan buyers to trade into a new 200, now that they are gone! Mr. Manley, are you hearing me?

·
Jeepaholic
5,929 Posts
The sedan market is shrinking fast, so it's highly doubtful that 200 will return or a Dodge version will see the light of day. Perhaps in CUV form? Perhaps as a lifted sedan or wagon? But a sedan? Not likely unfortunately.

Reactions: GasAxe and Doug D

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

·
Jeepaholic
5,929 Posts
Maybe the rumored RWD midsize Dodge sedan based on Giulia.
I thought they decided to mothball that one??...if it’s still being planned, I’d be surprised.

·
Super Moderator
6,996 Posts
I thought they decided to mothball that one??...if it’s still being planned, I’d be surprised.
I haven’t seen any insider posts to indicate it has been canceled. And it’s been hinted that two vehicles could replace 300 in Brampton - I assume the RWD Dodge CUV and midsize sedan based on Stelvio and Giulia.

·
Jeepaholic
5,929 Posts

·
Jeepaholic
5,929 Posts
I haven’t seen any insider posts to indicate it has been canceled. And it’s been hinted that two vehicles could replace 300 in Brampton - I assume the RWD Dodge CUV and midsize sedan based on Stelvio and Giulia.
With the shrinking sedan market, I’d be surprised if they invested the resources and production capacity into making another midsize sedan at this point...not that I’d be opposed to seeing one. If they were to make a Challenger styled sport CUV...a muscle CUV...instead, then that might be an interesting route to go.

Reactions: wtxiceman

·
Super Moderator
6,996 Posts
With the shrinking sedan market, I’d be surprised if they invested the resources and production capacity into making another midsize sedan at this point...not that I’d be opposed to seeing one. If they were to make a Challenger styled sport CUV...a muscle CUV...instead, then that might be an interesting route to go.
Since it would be RWD and presumably AWD with an SRT variant, it could be interesting to see if it shakes up the midsize segment with more personality than the sport-poser Camry.

·
Jeepaholic
5,929 Posts
Since it would be RWD and presumably AWD with an SRT variant, it could be interesting to see if it shakes up the midsize segment with more personality than the sport-poser Camry.
Yes, it would have to offer something special to attract attention. I can’t think of any other American midsize sedans (other than Cadillac) that are RWD/AWD with exceptional power. That would be pretty unique and could capture enough sales to make it worthwhile.

Reactions: DarkSky

·
Super Moderator
6,996 Posts
Yes, it would have to offer something special to attract attention. I can’t think of any other American midsize sedans (other than Cadillac) that are RWD/AWD with exceptional power. That would be pretty unique and could capture enough sales to make it worthwhile.
I agree. At a cheaper price than the Charger, it could be successful. If it came in under $30,000 for the 2.0T w/ eTorque it would be hard to match. The closest competitor would be the Stinger though it is trying to compete in the luxury market.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Something like the 2003 Avenger Concept (without the Caliber styling of course).
2003 Dodge Kahuna and Avenger concept cars (at https://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/kahuna-avenger.html )
The Avenger concept certainly looks a lot better than the production version.

The Kahuna has an interesting sort of look. Imagine, if you will, an old VW Microbus and a Fiat 500L having a love child. I think this would have sold nicely with those unwilling or unable to go with a much bigger alternative. It might have captured younger customers that Toyota tried to get with Scion, but didn't,.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Perhaps. I’m surprised they haven’t brought back a PT Cruiser type vehicle. It would seem to fit in with the CUV craze going on now.
Yep the tall urban funky wagonette. Never should have left that nitche, but the PT was intentionally left to wither and die by bigwigs with their nose out of joint. And once it’s name was junk they tried to push a poorly executed Caliber as a replacement. We all know how well that worked out. Textbook case of mismanagement and those responsible should have stood up and reaped the rewards of their efforts!

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
The FCA replacement for the PT Cruiser is the Fiat 500L. In the eyes of the consumer, the PT's replacement is the Kia Soul.

If Manley is smart he will use the nonJeep brands to protect Jeep. Offering a PT Cruiser type vehicle or something like the stillborn Hornet concept can counter any compromises Jeep products will have to make to cover gaps in the lineup.

Something like the 2003 Avenger Concept (without the Caliber styling of course).
In hindsight, the 2003 Avenger concept should have been the inspiration for the 200 replacement. The last 200 even had AWD with the Pentastar V6. But is there any money in the kitty for such a project?

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
I have read that the reason FCA dropped the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart was for labor union pressures- "Keep those FCA factories humming!"
This has nothing to do with why the 200 and Dart were dropped. The reason those vehicles ended production has been well documented. The reasons are as follows:

1. The rapid decline of both the compact and midsize sedan market
2. The need to add higher margin CUV’s and SUV’s to the product portfolio,
3. Update factories that are and were in need to upgrades.
4. Shift production so those upgrades could occur.

Of course, it was widely reported that the two cars were not selling well. Well, it's my opinion FCA did not continually promote the two and should have built a Dodge version of the 200 from the onset. Recently, living in the hot auto market as So. Cal that I do, I have noticed a great increase of Chevy Malibu TV ads. Yes, we know Ford is dropping the Fusion. So does Chevy know something that FCA (and Ford) don't know?
GM will be dropping the Impala and the Malibu along with other sedans from Buick and Cadillac in the future.

And, I have also read that FCA dealers are unable to allow repeat Chrysler and Dodge sedan buyers to trade into a new 200, now that they are gone! Mr. Manley, are you hearing me?
FCA offers Dodge and Jeep CUV’s that will meet the needs of current 200 owners. The Chrysler brand is planned to receive new product, specifically CUV’s, over the next several years.

With the rapid decline of the the sedan market (nearly a 50% decline in the last 5 years). FCA chose to move higher margin vehicles into the the plants that were producing the 200 and the Dart.

Currently SHAP, the former home of the 200, now produces Ram 1500 trucks. Belvedere, the former home of the Dart, Compass, and Patriot, now produces the Cherokee.

200 and Dart will not be coming back. Production for those vehicles is done. If a midsize sedan does come to market it will happen in maybe 4-5 years and will be a niche market Dodge product.

Mike

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't understand how car companies can offer all sorts of niche vehicles to satisfy various segments of the public and to keep auto writers satisfied, but a plain vanilla midsized sedan is out of the question for FCA and Ford. If you like the Corvette, Hellcat, Demon, Chevy Spark, Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Juke you're in luck. But if you want a new Fusion, 200 or Avenger, the message is get out of here you freak! You are weird and we don't like you!

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,091 Posts
I have read that the reason FCA dropped the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart was for labor union pressures- "Keep those FCA factories humming!" Of course, it was widely reported that the two cars were not selling well. Well, it's my opinion FCA did not continually promote the two and should have built a Dodge version of the 200 from the onset. Recently, living in the hot auto market as So. Cal that I do, I have noticed a great increase of Chevy Malibu TV ads. Yes, we know Ford is dropping the Fusion. So does Chevy know something that FCA (and Ford) don't know? And, I have also read that FCA dealers are unable to allow repeat Chrysler and Dodge sedan buyers to trade into a new 200, now that they are gone! Mr. Manley, are you hearing me?
I don't know where you read that, but as posted the midsize sedan market has shrunkand still is. SM decided it was better to invest in higher margin vehicles (trucks, cuv's, SUV's) than to chase sales in an ever decreasing market. Ford has bailed as well. GM hasn't yet, but I imagine they will soon. It is just a matter of time. Mike's post pretty well explained it.

·
Jeepaholic
5,929 Posts
Reactions: gforce2002
1 - 20 of 64 Posts