Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 PT Cruiser Base Model
For 8+ years, occasionally one, rarely two, windows will go down all by themselves. The console switch will not work - if I wait, sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes overnight, I can then raise the window. More rarely, when the switch works to raise the window, another window will go down as I raise the first one.
The center console switch module was replaced 8+ years ago to no avail. No additional work done. It occurs seemingly randomly and I think it can occur when going over a fairly hard bump.
The problem has not occurred for at least a year now, but could happen any time.

·
Super Moderator
21,630 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. There have been discussions on 'phantom' power window actuations (ghost cycles) before. This is a PT sedan?
The p/w switch is wired to the instrument cluster (CCN) which then busses a CAN signal to the door modules in order to raise or lower the glass. The rear windows are hard-wired to the switch and don't use control modules.
The common symptom is people coming out to start their car and finding a window partially down when they put them all up the night before.
Having both front windows do this is odd. Usually only one is affected. Case histories have determined that replacement of the window control module (part of and serviced with the window regulator) has solved this issue in most cases.
Check wiring inside the door for rub-through, pinching to ground or corrosion. Inside the door can be a wet environment with wind and rain. Door electronics may suffer more than electronics inside the car. Use a dielectric grease on connectors before mating them.
You mention that it may be sensitive to being bumped. Does opening or closing the door ever make the window go down where you can witness it happen?

Reactions: DuaneS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to Allpar. There have been discussions on 'phantom' power window actuations (ghost cycles) before. This is a PT sedan?
The p/w switch is wired to the instrument cluster (CCN) which then busses a CAN signal to the door modules in order to raise or lower the glass. The rear windows are hard-wired to the switch and don't use control modules.
The common symptom is people coming out to start their car and finding a window partially down when they put them all up the night before.
Having both front windows do this is odd. Usually only one is affected. Case histories have determined that replacement of the window control module (part of and serviced with the window regulator) has solved this issue in most cases.
Check wiring inside the door for rub-through, pinching to ground or corrosion. Inside the door can be a wet environment with wind and rain. Door electronics may suffer more than electronics inside the car. Use a dielectric grease on connectors before mating them.
You mention that it may be sensitive to being bumped. Does opening or closing the door ever make the window go down where you can witness it happen?
Thank you, thank you!
A good reply!
Sedan? 4 door with hatchback.

The CNN, is that a computer module? What does CNN mean?
Please, also describe CNN.
Two windows at same time - I believe it can be any two windows.
Isn't there a window regulator in each door?
Its actually been so long since it has happened, I don't remember details like if shutting the door makes it happen.
Is it okay to include my email address for you?
--
Should I do a new post for a new question, or would you answer this?
I recently had to have the automatic shifter cable replaced because I, over 7 years had spilled many really sweet and milky coffees over the floor console. The console looked chocolate-brown. I will never let it get that bad again.
Now, it will not always shift into Park; I have to shift it hard to get the pawl to drop. Is this an adjusment? Mechanic says cable has no adjustments.
And, it feels like the cable is rubbing against something. It comes and goes. Mechanic says this more goo around the shifter mechanism. If I disassemble it, what should I use to clean out the goo? Denatured alcohol, GooBGone...? Mechanic does not want to clean it.
What kind of grease or oil do I lubricate the parts with?

·
Super Moderator
21,630 Posts
CCN = Cabin Compartment Node. It is part of the dash Instrument Cluster and takes care of functions previously handled by the BCM (Body Control Module).
There is a window regulator for each door. Only the fronts (driver and passenger) have a separate control module for the window functions. The rears are hardwired to the power window switch and have no module.
I have used foaming glass cleaner to dissolve coffee, soda and beer spills from mechanisms. I understand the mechanic not being able to guarantee a clean up job.
Both the shifter cable and the BTSI (brake-transaxle shift (safety) interlock) cables have adjustments. Follow the service manual procedures.
Clean cables should not require any lube. Grease or oil will attract dust and dirt to moving parts. Graphite is the only lube I would recommend as it is a 'dry' lube.
You can PM an email to me by using your 'Inbox' tab at the top of the page.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts