Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe get some advice here, My wife has a 03 Dodge Caravan. It seems like I am always installing wiper blades, maybe someone can tell me that have got good service from their wiper blades, what would be a good replacement that will hold up.

thanks
Chet

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Maybe get some advice here, My wife has a 03 Dodge Caravan. It seems like I am always installing wiper blades, maybe someone can tell me that have got good service from their wiper blades, what would be a good replacement that will hold up.

thanks
Chet
The Trico Neoforms (28") that I put on my 96 are holding up pretty well. They are about a year old. One is just a little noisy with occasional chatter during light rain, but much better than RainX which chatter and sound like a mash potato beater. These are pretty expensive so check for coupons, rebates, and/or online deals.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
I just put a set of Michelins on the van (Costco - about $11 each). I had them on the Neon previously, and they lasted for a couple of years of Eastern Canadian weather.

·
Super Moderator
36,928 Posts
I don't understand because I almost always buy the same Anco blades, yet one set will last for a while and the next won't. Soemtimes I get a year, other times just 4-6 months.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have had good luck with the regular Michelin blades from Walmart.

I have also heard of some using 26 or even 24" blades instead of the 28" ones with minimal problems.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The Trico Neoforms (28") that I put on my 96 are holding up pretty well. They are about a year old. One is just a little noisy with occasional chatter during light rain, but much better than RainX which chatter and sound like a mash potato beater. These are pretty expensive so check for coupons, rebates, and/or online deals.
I second the crappy review of the RainX blades. I have had the same set on my 2000 Voyager since April. Sometimes they are great, other times they chatter and or don't clear good. Had a problem with the clip popping off constantly which put a scratch in my windshield. I spent 55 bucks on a set of 3 Bosch Icon blades and had to return the front set because they were impossible to clip onto my wiper arms. I kept the one for there rear as it worked fine and I like the blade although I still have the problem of not clearing the top of the back window. Anco Contours DO fit on the front but limited budget has prevented me from purchasing them just yet. I look forward to other reviews as I will be wiper shopping again soon. Personally on other cars I've owned I have had best luck with the cheap set you can get at dollar general for like 3 bucks a blade. A good tip for prolonging the life of your blades is to keep the windshield as clean as possible. Also while I'm filling up the tank I always wipe the blades of with a paper towel to get dirt and crap off the blade. Waxing your windshield is another good tip I have learned over the years.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Blades made of 100 % Silicone seem to work great for me. If you constantly clean and silicone spray the Dollar store ones - they will also work well but will not last very long & its a hassle always cleaning & changing blades. I grew tired of that so I stepped up to the expensive Silicone with excellent results! 3+ years and still working like new!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
This thread reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkHbJ-bbmOw

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Add my "-1" to the Rain-X blades.

I put Anco Winter blades on my GC and my Stratus. Was impossible to find 28" - biggest in stock was 24". Working well enough.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
I don't understand because I almost always buy the same Anco blades, yet one set will last for a while and the next won't. Soemtimes I get a year, other times just 4-6 months.
I usually just replace mine when they begin to streak. I usually get whatever Advance, NAPA or AZ have at a reasonable price. Usually I can get a year's worth of service out of them. The current set I have on the Ram are from Safelite when I had the windshield repaired. They don't streak yet, but two months after I put them on they chatter when dry or not quite wet enough. Will probably replace them soon.

FYI - most shops recommend replacing the blades every 6 months.

·
Registered
864 Posts
There is something amiss with my 98 G Caravan's rear wiper blade. In comparison with my 89 Caravan, the performance is poor since the blade seems to just skip over the window without touching the glass. I tried the spring tension that holds the blade against and it feels sturdy enough. But when I turn on the wiper, it will make a sweep and leave at least 50% of the window untouched. I have tried changing the whole assembly (instead of just the rubber blades) and have had no luck. I used ANCO's Trico and another brand (the name escapes me now) so I am inclined to think that it is in the lever arm.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The pivot on the rear wiper arm will tend to bind up after awhile. You should be able to pull the arm away from the glass and have it spring back to the glass with good spring pressure.
A shot of lube/solvent and manually exercising the arm pivot should have it working freely again. Wipe any excess lube/solvent from the paint when done.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have done the spring force-snap back test and used my 89 Caravan's rear wiper as a norm. The 98 van seems about the same. I have also tried a shot of lube as my first attempt to free anything. The wiper still underperforms.

·
Administrator
35,258 Posts
Your rear wiper's still better than mine; the spring is shot on mine and I haven't figured out yet how to replace the assembly. It seems pretty well stuck on there.

As for the wipers, the Tricos seem to be working very well. Actual Mopar blades are, I think, the best by far -- though they're supplied by Trico they might have better standards -- but also pricey.

Bosch... were junk when I tried them.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My rear wiper works "good" when it wants to. However I washed her before the "blizzard" and she sat for 3 days. I use the wiper yesterday, and it clears just a 3 in. tall section. Puzzles me. It calls for an 18 inch blade, but I run a 13 or 14 because it works a lot better. The Commander takes a funny blade that I have yet to see in any store, and it works so-so now.

·
Registered
517 Posts
In my humble opinion none of them are meant to last very long, sun being the main problem. I always buy the cheapest ones and throw them away when they start getting messy.

Another thing I do is always put the new blade on the driver's side and put the best old one on the passenger side, no need for a new blade on that side if the old one does a halfway decent job.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I can't believe with all these wiper blade posts that no one has mentioned tripledge wipers? They are pure silicone and have a lifetime warranty, I bought mine back in 2004 when as long as you registered your blade purchase online if they ever go bad you get free ones sent to you no charge:) Well a couple of years after putting them on the van the plastic tip that locks the blade onto the wiper blade arm came off, I called, they sent me a new one in about 7 working days. Then about 2 months ago my drivers side blade had a piece of the blade missing, it was 20 below that week and the passenger side blade was getting set and not really cleaning the windshield properly, so I called, they sent me 2 new wiper blade assemblies no charge, in about 8 days.
As for how good they work, my 1994 Grand Caravan LE seems to love them:) They work great and I bought them at Walmart when they use to carry them back then for like $5.50 a piece, what a deal, going on 7 years and only paid a total of $11.00, they don't squeak, they clean the windshield perfectly, as far as I'm concerned they are the only blade to buy, and they don't require you to send the blade back under warranty.
Now as to the new Tripledge warranty, I just bought some for my sons 2000 Plymouth Neon, during a Christmas sale at our Local Menard's for $1.99 each, special buy item, but the warranty is different, they are lifetime but now you have to pay postage and handling to get the new ones, I believe it's something like $3.00 each or so.
This sure beats the 6 months to once a year blade replacement on what I use to buy, and Tripledge sends you the entire blade with the holder, not just the refill, the complete assembly, a deal of a lifetime, you can buy them online also.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Cool I wonder what the regular price is? What size arfe your blades? How well do they perform after 100 plus degree summers. I am interested because a few months after b uying blades for the 05 there is rubber hanging off the blades. Do they work for the back window?
Thanks for the info
Mick

·
Registered
397 Posts
Cool I wonder what the regular price is? What size arfe your blades? How well do they perform after 100 plus degree summers. I am interested because a few months after b uying blades for the 05 there is rubber hanging off the blades. Do they work for the back window?
Thanks for the info
Mick
My blade sizes are 22" for drivers side and 18" for the passenger side. They perform excellent in the high heat, never an issue, they suggest cleaning the windshield real good before installing them so that they will have a real clean surface because in the beginning they claim they lay down a silicone shield on the glass which helps with a water repellent feature of silicone and squeaking of the blades, I have never had squeaking blades with these, these are not rubber blades, these are 100% silicone, and my minivan is always out in the sun, no garage to protect it:( As for the back window I never looked into the triple edge for that because on my 94 GC it has a special wiper arm with the washer spray hose and nozzle built into it and I just put regular rubber refills into it, it lasts about a year or more, I don't think tripledge has the refill for my rear wiper arm, and if I go with the whole assembly they have an adapter for the spray nozzle and I don't really want to change that arm assembly, but I haven't checked for a total silicone refill since about 2006 so maybe they have one now? I don't hardly ever use the rear wiper anyhow so that is why it's not an issue for me, just go to their site and you can do a search to see the wiper sizes that go with your vehicle, just type in the tripledge name in the addy bar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts