Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
King
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My right side wiper failed.
I lifted the long plastic cover and removed the screen.
To find the rod like thing popped off and the grommet was toasted.

I ordered a new set ( $ 7 ) and will get them Wednesday

Any Hints on how to replace this ?
Looks pretty straight forward.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
It is. They just press on, sometimes it takes a little force (tap lightly with a rubber mallet). On my cars, there are 4 total - one on each arm, and two stacked on the motor pivot. The lower one on the pivot has a hole through it for the end of the pivot, so the other bushing can go over the top. The generic bushings that I bought at Autozone didn't have any with a hole stamped out, so I just cut one with a razor knife.

I'd lube them with some bearing grease, too. Mine squeak a little, and I'll have to remove that cover again to get in there to lube them.

·
King
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to just change the one I can see.
That's the one that popped off
Would I have to cut that one ??

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Not if it's the one on the right arm at the wiper end. Only one of the four has a cutout, the lower one on the motor pivot.

But I would strongly recommend changing all four, they will all be brittle and crumbling. Without having taken them apart on my Daytona before, it took me about 2 hours start to finish. Part of that was figuring out how to remove the linkage from the car to replace the bushings, and feeding the linkage back in. It's worth it, another one will likely break within a few years and you'll be doing this job all over again.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yep, Bob's right, when one goes the others soon follow, and everything else too, 3 that are capped and 1 that is pass through. As far as installing, use a socket to brace the back of the linkage arm and then just squeeze the new one in place with either a vise, clamp or big channel locks. If you do all 4 be prepared to have to take the motor out, not a big deal but just so much easier. Be careful with the nut that has the ground strap for the motor, you don't want to twist that ground strap and break it if you can help it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts