Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was caught a spring rain shower while driving the '65 Barracuda. When I turned on the wipers but they would run for a couple swipes and stop. I could hear a circuit breaker clicking in and out. I checked the linkage and lubed it but the problem is still there. I suspect the motor is worn out. Are these motors rebuildable?

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Yes, they are rebuildable. Usually, from experience, there is a set of contact points (of sorts) for the different speeds that become corroded or dirty and can be cleaned up to function. I've had them erratic and also not turn out, so cleaning the contact surfaces works for both situations.They are about as complex/difficult as a starter or alternator.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
The armature bushing and gearbox grease may be dried out into the consistency of candle wax. This will cause excessive drag and high current draw. Cleaning and re-lubing may fix it.
The breaker may be part of the switch or motor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I removed the motor, loosened the end cap, and sprayed electrical cleaner on the com. & brushes. I then did a bench test. After about two minutes it started to get get warm and within two more minutes was hot to the touch. I'll give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
If it has severely overheated, then it may be too late. Evaluate the armature. If the copper wire enamel has cooked off, then the wire could contact ground (short) and that would make more heat and current draw. Slow running or loaded electric motors will run hot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got around to fiddling with my wiper problem. I dismantled the motor and cleaned it and lubed it-also cleaned the contact points, and lubed the linkage. After installing the motor it now runs longer before it stops but doesn't get hot. The wipers didn't parked when I got car and still don't because of broken park spring. I suspect the switch is bad.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
Run it until it stops. Then use a test light to see if there is power at the motor. If not, then at the switch. If not, then at the fuse. Make sure that wiper motor has a good ground.
This will take the guesswork out of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The circuit breaker shuts it off. Also the parking spring appears to have a tip broken off. Where in the world would you find a park spring?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts