Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
King
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to replace the wiper grommets because one failed.
now both sides don't work and I cant's drive in the rain.
I bought the "HELP" replacement grommets and they pop off as soon as you turn on the wipers.
we had to pull the wiper motor just to get this far
I will go to the local Dodge dealer and try to get the real replacement parts.
Dam this whole week has thunder showers possible and I just want to drive my Daytona.
What a PIA this turned out to be.

Thank God there was refreshments and a pool to cool off in or I could have died. LOL
As always special thanks to CudaPete who puts up with me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just a question - did you put white lithium grease on the bushings when you reinstalled? I installed Help! bushings on my car in April, and haven't had an issue since! Once I got them popped in completely, they were very secure.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
I have replaced these on two Daytonas and one Dakota, all with the Help! Dorman brand. There is nothing wrong with the replacement bushings themselves. If they pop off, either you do not have them fully pressed on (may require channel locks or slip joint pliers), or you replaced the linkage in the incorrect orientation. Lubing is recommended, but they will not pop off if not lubed.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
The only one that's not in the HELP!! (at least that I can find) is that center on with the hole in it. The others work fine. I get the assortment, pull out the ones I can use which IIRC leaves me one spare. Then I toss the rest. But that center one is either a dealer item $7 or FWD Performance.

They work great at least for a few years.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Bob, you can take one of the assorted ones and cut the center out with a razor knife or similar tool. Two identical bushings out of that assorted package will fit, and I just cut one out to make the bottom center bushing. So if you buy two packages, you have all four bushings.

The ones I put in the truck around 2008 are still working fine.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Good to know, and less risky than cutting my fingers with a razor knife. Thanks!

·
King
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking about it and maybe it was the grease that enabled them to pop off.
I will work on this at a later date

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
When I did my truck, I lost track of the rotation and orientation of the linkage rods. The left side kept popping off on the first revolution. I found pictures online and positioned it correctly. As soon as I did, it all stayed together and has worked fine since. Nothing to do with lube. If it pops off right away, it's not assembled correctly.

·
King
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK The job is finally done.
When I went to check my parts car for anything I could use.
I found out if you unbolt the motor and both wiper mounts.
The whole thing can be pulled out in one piece though the big hole in the cowl.
So I went back to my other car, pulled out the same parts.
snapped all the grommets together with slip joint plyers and put them back in.
about a two hour job now that I know how to do it.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Yes, should have mentioned that on Daytonas you remove the motor and linkage together to do this job. On my Dakota truck I could leave the motor in place.

·
King
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes you should have mentioned that !!!!
It would have save me a lot of trouble and a weeks worth of time.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Sorry about that. Since it's impossible to get at all the bushings without removing the motor and linkage, I didn't give a thought to the possibility that you hadn't taken them out. It's still an awful job that way.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Usually they're not still together when you need to replace the bushings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts