Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the orginal console with one I built with volt, oil, water temp, speedo and fuel guages. The tach will be on the dash.

I am keeping the orginal light and WW switches for convenience and will be using tiny led lights for the blinkers and high beams.

Figuring out what wire under the dash has been hard and I hope I can find someone who knows which wires I need to tap into.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it....

Grassy

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
mymopar.com has wiring diagrams free.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have the service manuals as well but unless you are very well versed on mopars logic...and I will give you an example, looking at all the diagrams will not help one bit...

In MOPRS logic, the path for the instrument lamps starts from through tail light fuse..

Grassy

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Yeah, and when the dash lights aren't working, good chance the tail lights aren't working, either. I like the connection being hidden in a junction and the color changes on top of it. Yellow and pink and orange come to mind on that one.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
That was done intentionally so you know that your tail lights are out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cudapete said:
That was done intentionally so you know that your tail lights are out.
That is hilarious....that goes with the "what the hell were they thinking" moments.. ...and really, these cars that were just slapped together without pride...this era was really the start of the demise of the big three...the quality of work between this and my mgbgt is days and night but no matter..

I have figured out their logic..My MG which had the equivalent amount of options and in the same yaer range...had 2 pages of wiring diagrams that were easy to follow...The duster...has 15 ! Talk about job security :)

Dash lights...you need to tap into the orange wire.

Grassy

Almost finished the resto mod...

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Yes, it was common to use the taillight fuse to cover the dash lights too. You could have no taillights and still have dash lights if the bulbs or circuit was bad after the light switch as long as the fuse was good. It the fuse went, then neither worked. wiring and circuits were very limited on older cars and this was actually a fairly good way of doing it as you did not want to be driving without taillights with the headlights available in those days on the vehicle following you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts