Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in purchasing a WJ Grand Cherokee, and was wondering 2 things. I'd like to know the standard features, specifically whether or not ABS was standard on all trim levels for all WJ years, or not, and the details, as well as anything else that would be helpful, known issues, or what to look for when purchasing. The second thing is, I know with a 4x4 system, you do not use it on dry pavement. But with the full-time mode on the Selec-Trac system, could I treat that like an AWD, and use it on dry pavement, or rain?

Thank you for any and all who answer. My dad had an '88 Cherokee, and it served us well. I'd love a Jeep, and I love the 4.0L. Thank you again

Also, here is the one I was looking at http://www.justjag.com/LeeAutoSales/CarDetails.aspx?VIN=1J4GW48S84C378429

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
I think that by 2004, all Grand Cherokees were 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS.
The Full-Time selection can be used on dry pavement. The Part-Time is only for slippery conditions.
You need to see the vehicle in person. Drive it, listen to it, feel it and observe any funny noises or vibrations. Make sure that it shifts, steers, stops and goes smoothly. Go over it with a fine-tooth comb and change all the fluids if you buy it.
I have sent you an e-mail.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
That appears to have the NV242 transfer case. That is (was) the premium transfer case offered by Jeep and it's an excellent choice.
Many Jeepers wish it was still offered.

Reactions: fatty119

·
Registered
6 Posts
This jeep you have a link to is identical to my 2004, which I bought with 70K and now has 132K. I have not had to replace anything except maintenance items like spark plugs and brake pads/rotors, tires and filters. Mine had a real low idle that I researched and found a TSB for it. So I printed it off and brought it to the dealer and they flashed the PCM to bump up the idle speed. This solved the low, droning sound it made at idle. The 4.0 motor in mine is very smooth and quiet; some are not so much. With the fluids all changed over to synthetic Amsoil, I am getting 20-22 mpg combined according to the factory mileage computer in the console above.
By the way, my daughter still drives my old 1997 4.0 Gr. Cherokee and now has 257K on it and the original motor and tranny, also differentials, transfer case too! Nothing rebuilt. Hope it works out and you find a nice one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also found this one, that I like more. http://www.selectusedcars.com/used/Jeep/2004-Jeep-Grand+Cherokee-d030f6ff40463812007eaee13374eba2.htm
So if there is any info anyone has on this one, I'd be extremely appreciative!

Stepchild said:
This jeep you have a link to is identical to my 2004, which I bought with 70K and now has 132K. I have not had to replace anything except maintenance items like spark plugs and brake pads/rotors, tires and filters. Mine had a real low idle that I researched and found a TSB for it. So I printed it off and brought it to the dealer and they flashed the PCM to bump up the idle speed. This solved the low, droning sound it made at idle. The 4.0 motor in mine is very smooth and quiet; some are not so much. With the fluids all changed over to synthetic Amsoil, I am getting 20-22 mpg combined according to the factory mileage computer in the console above.
By the way, my daughter still drives my old 1997 4.0 Gr. Cherokee and now has 257K on it and the original motor and tranny, also differentials, transfer case too! Nothing rebuilt. Hope it works out and you find a nice one.
what bad 4.0 engines do you know of?

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
Generally the 4.0L seems to hold together just fine.
Some were a little noisy (ticking). Not an indication of pending failure.
You might want to walk away from knocking or rapping engines.
There was no PCV valve per se, but an orifice fitting in the valve cover that had a tendency to plug. This could push oil out of the engine, leave oil spots on the air filter and cause rough running.

Like any used car, a walkaround and test drive should indicate any troubles. Use all 5 senses to listen to how the vehicle starts, stops, turns, and idles. You can usually tell if a previous owner took good care of the vehicle. The vehicle you are looking at shows a 'one woman-owner' vehicle. This can be a good thing as it wasn't passed around like a hot potato.
It may have been cherished throughout or it may have fallen into neglect towards the end. That may be easy to sense just by opening a door. It may have been time to move on to a newer vehicle if things started going wrong. The dealer may have spiffed and dolled up the vehicle for the sales lot. Clean interiors and shiny paint may not tell the whole story, but you can usually tell. You might request a Carfax, as the dealer record on the vehicle shows that it was never back to the dealer for any service after purchase.
Make sure that Everything works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I decided on buying the black one. I just picked it up Tuesday night, and I'm pleased. Thank you all!

Stepchild said:
what grade oil and things did you get for it? there are a few grades, and I'm also very interested in what filters you use as well

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
Congratulations! Following the recommendations in the owners manual, if it didn't come with one, you should be able to get one online: http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/
A good brand premium motor oil meeting the Chrysler MS-6395 and 10W-30 should be good. I use Mopar (factory) filters, but any reputable filter should be fine.
If you are considering doing most of the work yourself or just want to know how the whole Jeep works, a factory service manual would be a very useful tool.
Like this one here: http://www.bonanza.com/listings/2004-JEEP-Grand-Cherokee-Shop-Service-Manual-Parts-Manual-/40118657?gpid=41279011981&gpkwd=&goog_pla=1&gclid=CLfq-rn15rYCFdRa4AodRCgA5w

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ImperialCrown said:
Congratulations! Following the recommendations in the owners manual, if it didn't come with one, you should be able to get one online: http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/
A good brand premium motor oil meeting the Chrysler MS-6395 and 10W-30 should be good. I use Mopar (factory) filters, but any reputable filter should be fine.
If you are considering doing most of the work yourself or just want to know how the whole Jeep works, a factory service manual would be a very useful tool.
Like this one here: http://www.bonanza.com/listings/2004-JEEP-Grand-Cherokee-Shop-Service-Manual-Parts-Manual-/40118657?gpid=41279011981&gpkwd=&goog_pla=1&gclid=CLfq-rn15rYCFdRa4AodRCgA5w
I do have the owners manual, but that shop manual will come in handy! I gotta see if i can find it elsewhere though. I dont have a paypal account. Dude, all of you guys aon here are amazing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts