Allpar Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Why is it that the current 2.4 liter four does such an exemplary job in the Ram PMC beating the all the small van competition in both power and fuel economy, but yet in cars it's years behind? It seems there is a herd mentality to belief, especially in the automotive media.
It actually gets lower combined fuel economy than the NV200, and only 1 MPG more city/highway than the Transit Connect, despite have a 9 vs 6 speed transmission. Plus, NVH and drivability problems are a lot more acceptable in a work van, than a passenger car. I kind of expect a work van to be noisy, buzzy with a weird and lumpy power delivery. That sort of stuff doesn't fly in a $35,000 car.

·
Registered
453 Posts
What will the Hurricane do in the Cherokee? I suspect they would use the “economy tune” — maybe 260 hp. The V6 would be a luxury option for those who gotta have six cylinders. Likewise they could keep the 3.2 and make the Hurricane the top engine.

Long term, I do expect the V6 Cherokee to die out.
A naturally aspirated V6 as a luxury option against a turbo 4? No way.

·
Super Moderator
6,895 Posts
A naturally aspirated V6 as a luxury option against a turbo 4? No way.
It's not an unreasonable idea. If the turbo 4 cylinder in the updated KL is tuned more toward efficiency than power and makes, say, 200 horsepower, there's still plenty of room for a V6 at the top of the lineup.

Reactions: suzq044

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
It's not an unreasonable idea. If the turbo 4 cylinder in the updated KL is tuned more toward efficiency than power and makes, say, 200 horsepower, there's still plenty of room for a V6 at the top of the lineup.
They desperately need an efficiency motor so I'd definitely be OK with that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
When you have a base 4 cylinder with ~185HP, you're not going to be able to upsell a customer to a 200HP turbo for thousands more. Look at the competition. If it's not at least 250HP it won't be competitive. You can offer two versions of the turbo 4, one with a hotter tune, and that would be more effective than adding a wheezy N/A V6 with less torque than the 4. The Pentastar is the 'value' engine. The turbo 4 is typically more expensive to produce, so they will need to be able to charge the customer more for it.

·
Super Moderator
6,895 Posts
When you have a base 4 cylinder with ~185HP, you're not going to be able to upsell a customer to a 200HP turbo for thousands more. Look at the competition. If it's not at least 250HP it won't be competitive. You can offer two versions of the turbo 4, one with a hotter tune, and that would be more effective than adding a wheezy N/A V6 with less torque than the 4. The Pentastar is the 'value' engine. The turbo 4 is typically more expensive to produce, so they will need to be able to charge the customer more for it.
Eh, I was thinking that the 2.4 could just be eliminated from the lineup completely leaving the 2.0 and Pentastar as the only engines. Would help move the Cherokee slightly upmarket to separate it from the Compass.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,994 Posts
I thought the 2.4 was going away once these hurricanes finally get here

(it feels weird writing about hurricanes with the storms that just wreaked havoc over here, in fla and in texas, with more on the way, apparently)

·
Super Moderator
6,895 Posts

(it feels weird writing about hurricanes with the storms that just wreaked havoc over here, in fla and in texas, with more on the way, apparently)
I thought so too. I was under the impression that the 2.4 would be replaced by more efficiency-tuned versions of the Hurricane while higher performance versions of the same engine would replace the Pentastar.

Reactions: suzq044

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

I am sure the 2.4L will be used as the new Hurricanes will implemented as the model lines are updated in the oncoming years. First with the Wrangler,

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Let's say...

base four cylinder: 185 hp
turbo four: 260 hp
V6: 286 hp (3.6 not 3.2)

Americans often prefer more cylinders, e.g. the original Honda Accord V6 which wasn't any faster than the four.
Where did you hear 260... I am hearing much more that that.

·
Administrator
35,232 Posts
Just a guess for the NON-SRT version — the one with MultiAir — designed for economy rather than power. I'd been hearing 280 hp for that one and “over 300” for the other. Generally the final production version has less power than in development, for various reasons. In some cases it's been a huge difference (Apache) and in other cases the final version has been “as advertised” (Hellcat).

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
In FCA investor presentation for powertrains it is shown that there will be different versions with different power output, naturally aspirated and turbocharged.

In a slide are divided as "value", "efficiency" and "performance".
Each version will be used for different vehicles to meet the target capacities needed.

For NAFTA FCA projected to increase the share of 4 cylinders from 27% of 2013 to 48% in 2018, while 6 cylinders engines going from 52% to 40% and 8 cylinders from 21% to 12%.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
In FCA investor presentation for powertrains it is shown that there will be different versions with different power output, naturally aspirated and turbocharged.

In a slide are divided as "value", "efficiency" and "performance".
Each version will be used for different vehicles to meet the target capacities needed.

For NAFTA FCA projected to increase the share of 4 cylinders from 27% of 2013 to 48% in 2018, while 6 cylinders engines going from 52% to 40% and 8 cylinders from 21% to 12%.
I sure hope they are sharp enough to realize much has changed since 2013. These days, four years is an eternity in the automotive world.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I sure hope they are sharp enough to realize much has changed since 2013. These days, four years is an eternity in the automotive world.
not sure what you're getting at. The 2018 % is a little high, reality might be a bit lower, but they are on target from my analysis.

The highest volume vehicles (Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, Compass) will all have four cylinder engines.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
All I was getting at is, don't be in such a big hurry to start ridding yourself of V6 and V8 engines. Inline sixes won't fit east to west front drivers and we've been down this road before. They were caught with no RWD cars and phased out all V8s. They were on their way to eliminating full size trucks as well, but fortunately Cummins showed up and the rest is history.

·
Registered
453 Posts
All I was getting at is, don't be in such a big hurry to start ridding yourself of V6 and V8 engines. Inline sixes won't fit east to west front drivers and we've been down this road before. They were caught with no RWD cars and phased out all V8s. They were on their way to eliminating full size trucks as well, but fortunately Cummins showed up and the rest is history.
We live in a world where the largest automotive market (China) is talking about a complete ban on internal combustion vehicles, the US has increasing emissions standards that will be impossible to meet without electrification, and several Euro cities are looking at having ICE-free city centers. Which powertrain decision will be seen as short cited in the future?

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Where did you hear 260... I am hearing much more that that.
Depends on vehicle and configuration.

Nothing wrong with being conservative now ;)

Mike

41 - 60 of 68 Posts