Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler, which was purchased as a used vehicle at 28,000 miles. At the time, I purchased 3 warranties (Mopar, Chrysler Jeep Extended, and Warranty Solutions). Aside from other things that have been sent to the dealership for manufacturer defects, I have recently (at 92,000 miles) had a rear right caliper seize up (without any notice). Blessedly, we had to stop at a red light and began to pull off when the light turned green. At that moment, the right rear caliper seized and broke the right rear brakes, damaged the shoes, tore into the rim and broke the rim and blew a whole into the right tire. I had to have the car towed to the dealership. They said that their warranties would not pay, but Warranty Solutions (3RD warranty) would pay for the actual caliper (NOT the caliper bolts needed to install the caliper) and cover the labor to reinstall the caliper. They said they would not cover the consequential damage (other parts and labor). I got several different quotes to fix all the damage from the dealer. After running around and buying the parts (rim, tire, right rear brakes), I still had to pay for the caliper bolts, bleeding of the brakes and associated labor of 285.00. Should they have covered all the damage?

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts
Welcome to Allpar!

That sounds about right unfortunately. I don’t have much experience with extended warranties, but I know that a lot of people complain that there are a lot of hidden details in the fine print, and not covering the resulting damage could be part of that. They probably should have covered it, but they aren’t in the business to lose money so they’re going to do as little as possible to help. I’m glad you are okay though and it happened in somewhat of a safe location.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of these specific warranties can give you better advice.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler, which was purchased as a used vehicle at 28,000 miles. At the time, I purchased 3 warranties (Mopar, Chrysler Jeep Extended, and Warranty Solutions). Aside from other things that have been sent to the dealership for manufacturer defects, I have recently (at 92,000 miles) had a rear right caliper seize up (without any notice). Blessedly, we had to stop at a red light and began to pull off when the light turned green. At that moment, the right rear caliper seized and broke the right rear brakes, damaged the shoes, tore into the rim and broke the rim and blew a whole into the right tire. I had to have the car towed to the dealership. They said that their warranties would not pay, but Warranty Solutions (3RD warranty) would pay for the actual caliper (NOT the caliper bolts needed to install the caliper) and cover the labor to reinstall the caliper. They said they would not cover the consequential damage (other parts and labor). I got several different quotes to fix all the damage from the dealer. After running around and buying the parts (rim, tire, right rear brakes), I still had to pay for the caliper bolts, bleeding of the brakes and associated labor of 285.00. Should they have covered all the damage?

You should read the three extended warranties to determine what is covered. Without seeing the actual coverage details, it would be pure speculation to determine coverage.

·
Super Moderator
37,232 Posts
You should read the three extended warranties to determine what is covered. Without seeing the actual coverage details, it would be pure speculation to determine coverage.
Absolutely agree. There is no way to know without reading the details.
There is likely contact information in the warranty if you want to dispute what wasn't covered.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hello,

when a caliper seizes it is due to the fact that the piston will not retract in its bore,thus you have constant friction between the pads and the rotor.this generates tremendous amounts of heat.i have seen them on fire.usually you can smell it happening.at its worst it will keep the wheel from turning.
so the bolts that hold your caliper on physically broke causing the caliper to jam into the rim,ruining the emergency brake shoes and the rim itself,causing the tire to blow?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to Allpar!

That sounds about right unfortunately. I don’t have much experience with extended warranties, but I know that a lot of people complain that there are a lot of hidden details in the fine print, and not covering the resulting damage could be part of that. They probably should have covered it, but they aren’t in the business to lose money so they’re going to do as little as possible to help. I’m glad you are okay though and it happened in somewhat of a safe location.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of these specific warranties can give you better advice.
Thank you. Yes, the Extended Warranty covers the caliper; additionally, it seems to say that it does not cover "consequential damage."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when a caliper seizes it is due to the fact that the piston will not retract in its bore,thus you have constant friction between the pads and the rotor.this generates tremendous amounts of heat.i have seen them on fire.usually you can smell it happening.at its worst it will keep the wheel from turning.
so the bolts that hold your caliper on physically broke causing the caliper to jam into the rim,ruining the emergency brake shoes and the rim itself,causing the tire to blow?
Thanks. You provided a very comprehensive way that I understand it better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. You provided a very comprehensive way that I unders
Absolutely agree. There is no way to know without reading the details.
There is likely contact information in the warranty if you want to dispute what wasn't covered.
tand it better.
Thanks. There wasn't any smell of burning, etc. If this is so common of a problem, shouldn't there be recall.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had an extended warranty as well. Once I got a recall for a seat belt bolt I took to get fixed. Then the warranty company said because there was recall on my vehicle they were voiding my extended coverage. But they didn't refund me anything for cancelling what I purchased. It's my opinion that it's worthless piece of paper that costs the consumer $1,000's only to be left high and dry at some point. In other words, it's mostly a scam that makes you give up more of your cash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts