Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
According to FGA plan, the next Wrangler is to be shown on CY2016. This report makes sense..

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
The Wrangler's assembly plant will be heavily modified to accommodate increased volume (a problem currently) and multiple variants. Given the success of the Mopar kit that transform a Wrangler into a pickup, it is reasonable to expect a pickup variant will be offered.

Of course, Ram may protest a Jeep pickup, or market conditions might change enough to alter any plans.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
A Ram pickup and a Wrangler pickup are for different purpose, audience and use..

·
Registered
531 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
The Wrangler's assembly plant will be heavily modified to accommodate increased volume (a problem currently) and multiple variants. Given the success of the Mopar kit that transform a Wrangler into a pickup, it is reasonable to expect a pickup variant will be offered.

Of course, Ram may protest a Jeep pickup, or market conditions might change enough to alter any plans.
The one benefit of not having a Dakota-sized pickup available is that there is no vehicle that would overlap with a Jeep Wrangler-based pickup. That was part of the reason Comanche got axed (that, and reducing highly profitable Cherokee production).

·
Administrator
35,248 Posts
That was part of the reason Comanche got axed (that, and reducing highly profitable Cherokee production).
I suspect the second part was as important, I recall the part of Evan's book, “The good news is Comanche sales are up, the bad news is Comanche sales are up.” Disclaimer: that's from memory and is probably not exactly what was written.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Here it is 8 years later and the Gladiator concept still looks great. Is it still shown anywhere?

·
Registered
431 Posts
The Gladiator has been my dream for many years. I would love one, but I will believe it when it is in production.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Red-JK said:
The Gladiator has been my dream for many years. I would love one, but I will believe it when it is in production.
Just like a diesel in the Wrangler. We've been fooled too many times.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Mopar392 said:
A Ram pickup and a Wrangler pickup are for different purpose, audience and use..
Well the Grand Caravan and the Town & Country are for a different audience too but one of them is not going to return as is.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Just like a diesel in the Wrangler. We've been fooled too many times.
A diesel pickup Wrangler!!

CherokeeVision said:
Well the Grand Caravan and the Town & Country are for a different audience too but one of them is not going to return as is.
The case with Ram and Wrangler pickup is that the former is a large half-ton pickup while the later will be a compact or mid-size pickup.. That is one thing.. The other thing is the off-road capability that comes with Wrangler that Ram, with the exception of PowerWagon, can't match..

The GC and T&C can be combined into one model by offering different trims to satisfy each audience, but that doesn't mean I agree with giving the axe to one of them..

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
The most common question I am asked is; 2016, or 2017?
Im assuming 2016 CY, 2017 MY?
The last quote from Manley however was a 2015-2016 comment, which I still take as CY and not MY.
Any insider source is welcome to clear that up. ;)

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Mopar392 said:
The case with Ram and Wrangler pickup is that the former is a large half-ton pickup while the later will be a compact or mid-size pickup.. That is one thing.. The other thing is the off-road capability that comes with Wrangler that Ram, with the exception of PowerWagon, can't match..
First, Ram may want to introduce something smaller than Dakota and sees a Jeep pickup as a rival.

Second, since the 2014 Ram is using a suspension designed by Jeep engineers for capability and a nice ride, don't expect a big difference in capability.

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,933 Posts
To me one of the biggest clues this might happen was when the Dodge "lifestyle truck" was shelved, evidently pretty late in it's development. However I agree that the two could coexist. I don't think the car-based, possibly FWD Dodge would steal buyers from a Wrangler-based truck or vice versa. But frankly I really don't think the Dodge had much of a business case to begin with. The small truck market is owned by Toyota now. It will take something drastic to change that. A Jeep truck might be just the ticket.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
FreeLantz said:
To me one of the biggest clues this might happen was when the Dodge "lifestyle truck" was shelved, evidently pretty late in it's development. However I agree that the two could coexist. I don't think the car-based, possibly FWD Dodge would steal buyers from a Wrangler-based truck or vice versa. But frankly I really don't think the Dodge had much of a business case to begin with. The small truck market is owned by Toyota now. It will take something drastic to change that. A Jeep truck might be just the ticket.
A lifestyle truck has no real business case. Make it a Dodge and the case is weaker.

A Wrangler-based pickup will be very small. Put a diesel in it and you will have a massive hit.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
kjones00 said:
I still love the lifestyle truck idea. And if they built one, I'd buy it.

KJ
I think you're more likely to see a variant of the Fiat Strada than anything else. (which would suit me fine if they do it good!)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts