Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just popped up, courtesy of a final1, an employee at TNAP on JeepForum.com

We have been asking for rubber floor coverings and different seat materal for years. Also, They let us know today that the new face lift fro teh Wrangler has been pushed back to 2017!! It will get some touches for 2014 and a 8 speed auto. the new MOAD edition looks great and we will start the 10yr. Annv. for Rubicon next month. New gray paint and army green called Camo started 2 weeks ago. Look hot! Floyd Pink coming later this year.
So, on the downside, it sounds like the Gladiator will be coming 'in 5 years' once again. On the upside, the JK will remain mostly as-is for at least 5 years, with the exception of the 8-speed (Yay.)

Also sounds like three new colours this year, and potentially some more rugged interior options for 2014, and some other little changes. Good stuff.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Any insight on the rest of it? (Not that I doubt my source, but it's always better to hear stuff coming from you)
This rumor has been going around the internet all day. Odd that they would push it back ...after they are putting a ton of money into reworking the factory, maybe they were undecided about how radical the makeover will be and they are getting pushback from Jeepers in management who will pick straight axles and coil-link suspension as the last hill to die on?
Who wants to be the person responsible for killing Wrangler?

Time will tell.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The wrangler is too personal to stop selling. Killing off the wrangler is like every clothing company stopping production of underwear. WE NEED UNDERWEAR... (well, atleast I do ;))

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
The wrangler is too personal to stop selling. Killing off the wrangler is like every clothing company stopping production of underwear. WE NEED UNDERWEAR... (well, atleast I do ;))
You would think so, but they killed off Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, in favor of something not as good, let's hope that smarter heads prevail when it comes to Wrangler.
Frankly a new version isn't needed, just a few minor tweaks and enough production capacity to fill demand, so this is good news.
In fact moving back the next Wrangler back to 2027 would be better news. ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
At least 7 new colors for the 2013 model year:

COMMANDO GREEN CLEAR COAT
So....will we see a special edition without any carpet on the floor called the "Goin' Commando" edition? B)

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
The JK is a beast and is just too massive for me. Capable yes, manageable no. It dwarfs most other vehicles parked next to it. I would like to see a more TJ-sized Wrangler again.
I know that regulations and refinements will continue to move us away from the basic, essential Jeep and this is a fact of all vehicle evolution now.
Original design intentions and purpose can change, but utility and economy are still important to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
On the upside, the JK will remain mostly as-is for at least 5 years, with the exception of the 8-speed (Yay.)
No Hemi rumor to go with the 8 speed rumor?? dangit.

A new transmission might encourage me to wait ANOTHER year.. Was all set to pick up a 2012 until the engine problems started popping up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
New seat material would be nice, my 2010 with 62k miles already has threadbare seats. 8sp will be nice, but if nothing else major is changing at least I don't have to spring for a new one anytime soon :) I am curious to see this Floyd pink color though...

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts

A new transmission might encourage me to wait ANOTHER year.. Was all set to pick up a 2012 until the engine problems started popping up.
The Hemi will not fit from the factory based on specific parameters, dimensions, and several other factors..

Feel free to shoe horn it in yourself...

Mike

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
With the eight speed, the Hemi will be less important. Look at what the 8 speed did for Charger!
Very true! Sure the grunt of the Hemi would be nice... But the 8 speed appears to be the great equalizer.

Mike

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 8-speed, 3.6L 300 and Charger outrun the gen-1 Hemi versions, right?

I'm not that concerned with speed, personally-I'm perfectly happy with my undergeared TJ as is, and having more gears available isn't a huge deal when rock climbing. But what I'm really excited to see is what it does for fuel economy. 23 highway would be nice, 25 would be awesome.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
8-speed with the 3.2?

·
Registered
382 Posts
The 8-speed, 3.6L 300 and Charger outrun the gen-1 Hemi versions, right?

I'm not that concerned with speed, personally-I'm perfectly happy with my undergeared TJ as is, and having more gears available isn't a huge deal when rock climbing. But what I'm really excited to see is what it does for fuel economy. 23 highway would be nice, 25 would be awesome.
No....it's an improvement over the 5-speed, but the Hemi + 5Speed will still beat the 3.6L + 8Speed.

·
Administrator
35,248 Posts
THe first-generation Hemi five speed is matched on 0-60 to the 3.6+8 speed, to the tenth-of-a-second.

I don't know about quarter mile times or 40-60 or other measures.

The current Hemi is another story. That will still walk away from the 3.6 with eight-speed.

That said, the much wider range of the eight-speed will allow it to negate some of the complaints regarding low end torque. Complaints which, I might add, I've only read here, from one person. That doesn't mean they're not valid, they probably are, for his uses.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I've driven both Charger 3.6L with 5-speed and 8-speed.
8-Speed is much smoother, more responsive, and enable a higher top speed..

I haven't yet driven 5.7HEMI post-2009 revision, but I still can imagine how different the feeling will be..

Back to the topic, I can't imagine somebody driving a Wrangler with a pink paint...

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts

The engine problems have been corrected. I wouldn't be concerned unless the engine build date was prior to July. Even at that, it's a very small percentage and all are being repaired under warranty.

As noted, the engine compartment isn't large enough for an OEM to package the Hemi to meet crash standards and other requirements. If the 2017 date is correct, we have a longer wait in store than previously thought.

Unless the 8 speed was geared with an incredibly low first and second gear, it does little to mediate the loss of low rpm torque.
The 3.6 higher rpm at idle, and the higher rpm torque curve has been noted here by several, including myself and Bob. An observation isn't always a complaint, as there is little denial that the 3.6 is a much improved pavement engine, compared to the 3.8.
The requirements for clean emissions and the characteristics of a V6 will dictate higher rpm's.

Back to the topic, I can't imagine somebody driving a Wrangler with a pink paint...
Google 'Pink Jeep' ;)

They are very famous.....

1 - 20 of 185 Posts