Allpar Forums banner

WSJ's take on Dodge's reputation

3421 Views 55 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Erik Latranyi
In the Jan 14 edition of "The Wall St Journal" there is a discussion of all the auto companies whose upcoming electric vehicles will be trying to knock Tesla off it's #1 sales perch. Not that I object (being an almost 50 year member of NHRA) but I found it amusing that the WSJ found that Stellantis is aiming to have a Dodge Charger as one of it's first all-electric US offerings because Dodge is "Known for producing cars used in drag racing", hence will be sacrificing range to "preserve the driving dynamics of a traditional muscle car".
Reactions: multimopes
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,838 Posts
I wonder how many WSJ's readers have ever been within a mile of a dragstrip? But they are the ones that can afford all those Hellcat models that everyday Americans can't. So I see why they're writing about Dodge.

· Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,331 Posts
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Well I read WSJ every day and have been to Raceway Park in NJ many times, so there’s one lol! Both the Jeeps I drive have racing stickers from all the races we have been to in the rear side window…

· Registered
12,401 Posts
In the Jan 14 edition of "The Wall St Journal" there is a discussion of all the auto companies whose upcoming electric vehicles will be trying to knock Tesla off it's #1 sales perch. Not that I object (being an almost 50 year member of NHRA) but I found it amusing that the WSJ found that Stellantis is aiming to have a Dodge Charger as one of it's first all-electric US offerings because Dodge is "Known for producing cars used in drag racing", hence will be sacrificing range to "preserve the driving dynamics of a traditional muscle car".
It is indicative of the lack of real journalists in this country/world. They are uneducated, ill-informed and conduct themselves as advocates instead of as reporters of facts.

This applies outside auto journalists as well. Dave is one of the few that is informed on subjects he writes about. He is a dying breed.

· Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like like the writer doesn’t get the purpose of enthusiast vehicles. The Wrangler 4xe is an example that does not maximize efficiency that a sedan could from a similar battery pack. The poster boy at the moment is the new hummer of this. Since the dodge’s will be sedans/coupes, I feel like they will make perfectly fine use of the battery pack unlike the hummer example.

· Registered
284 Posts
The job of a writer is to write. Being knowledgeable on the subject isn't a prerequisite. Often times experts of a subject are not expert writers. The problem with today's journalists is they don't have proper sources and vetting processes. It's hard to blame them when they are not given enough time to write a proper article and their compensation has been stagnant due to where the money is in media.

· Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m aware the original post is a paraphrase of the article, but what exactly is wrong here? I would agree that Dodge would sacrifice range for s as better driving experience, Considering they do the same thing with gas engines.
Nothing "wrong" specifically. I just thought that it was interesting that in an article listing all the potential competitors to Tesla, Dodge was singled out as a car "used in drag racing" and intended to build electric vehicles towards that end. I'm sure that Dodge is not upset by that catergorization, seeing that they do put at least some $$$ and engneering into their drag racing efforts. To me, that's never enough as Dodge/Mopar streetable stuff is outnumbered 4 or 5 to 1 by "Brand C' powered stuff at major drag racing events but it looks like they have achieved enough success punching above their weight to get recognized by a major non-automotive publication.

· Registered
317 Posts
Im sure that Stellantis will also make an EV Charger for the masses as well as other models. Every brand has a "Halo Car" so Dodge is no different here. MY opinion...EV's are a short term solution to a long term problem. Hydrogen is on the horizon (finally) with smaller, more efficient fuel cells rather than huge tanks of liquified fuel that I studied in college back in 1983 (yes Boys and Girls, there we colleges waaaayyyy back then too, lol!!!!) but this too is a short term solution. I have no idea how to get out of this fossil fuel trap we are in but I DO believe the tech is already there and proven but not profitable at this time in our "evolution". Money and greed are still king!!

· Premium Member
5,838 Posts
As a company that has come to the electric party very late and behind, they have much catching up to do. I do not believe they have the resources to keep updating current ice offerings as well. So I expect the Jeep and Ram lines to become very stale in the coming years. They might throw in more XE models here and there, but I don't see much in they way of really full lineups till at least 2030, if they don't go broke trying to pull this off first. IMHO, they are making the same mistake they did with the relaunch of Alfa. Sunk a bunch of money into a brand that had a terrible reputation here. Let their core products wither on the vine to build that pipedream. The end result was an old product lineup of vehicles, new things pushed back years. It's Deja Vu all over again. I don't have anything against electrics, but they can't afford to screw this up, I feel they're moving way too fast.

· Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,331 Posts
Going to 4 races at Watkins Glen and one at Atco drag strip. Was going to go to the Montreal F1 this year but it sold out very fast much faster than in past years; we’ve been there 6 times over the years. Gotta see drag racing & smell burning rubber and nitro methane it’s been too long since Raceway Park in Englishtown closed.
Hemi V8s forever just ask Nick of Nicks Garage (in Laval, Quebec) probably the BEST Mopar you tube channel.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

· Premium Member
5,838 Posts
Going to 4 races at Watkins Glen and one at Atco drag strip. Was going to go to the Montreal F1 this year but it sold out very fast much faster than in past years; we’ve been there 6 times over the years. Gotta see drag racing & smell burning rubber and nitro methane it’s been too long since Raceway Park in Englishtown closed.
Hemi V8s forever just ask Nick of Nicks Garage (in Laval, Quebec) probably the BEST Mopar you tube channel.
View attachment 92678
I watch Nick every week. Love his channel.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Nick is the keeper of the Mopar faith! The thing I can't figure out but would love to know is how he finds such obscure limited production parts for the restorations.

· Registered
3,330 Posts
Sounds like like the writer doesn’t get the purpose of enthusiast vehicles. The Wrangler 4xe is an example that does not maximize efficiency that a sedan could from a similar battery pack. The poster boy at the moment is the new hummer of this. Since the dodge’s will be sedans/coupes, I feel like they will make perfectly fine use of the battery pack unlike the hummer example.
It's mind numbing to even contemplate the immense size of the battery pack in the Hummer and think of how many Wrangler 4xe units could be produced with the same total amount of batteries.

If the Hummer EV isn't the poster child for conspicuous consumption, then I don't know what is!

· Registered
3,330 Posts
Well I read WSJ every day and have been to Raceway Park in NJ many times, so there’s one lol! Both the Jeeps I drive have racing stickers from all the races we have been to in the rear side window…
Well...If you should find yourself in Southern New England, don't hesitate to check out Seekonk Speedway in Massachusetts!

· Registered
948 Posts
I’m aware the original post is a paraphrase of the article, but what exactly is wrong here? I would agree that Dodge would sacrifice range for s as better driving experience, Considering they do the same thing with gas engines.
Spot on. WSJ was implying "what is the point of Dodge making an electric car if it is going to have a reduced range?".
Whoever wrote this article has no understanding of how electric cars work. The harder you drive a gas or electric car of course the worse MPG's or Range you are going to get.

· Registered
12,401 Posts
It's mind numbing to even contemplate the immense size of the battery pack in the Hummer and think of how many Wrangler 4xe units could be produced with the same total amount of batteries.

If the Hummer EV isn't the poster child for conspicuous consumption, then I don't know what is!
You are comparing a PHEV to a BEV.
The Hummer weighs over 9000 pounds.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
Im sure that Stellantis will also make an EV Charger for the masses as well as other models. Every brand has a "Halo Car" so Dodge is no different here. MY opinion...EV's are a short term solution to a long term problem. Hydrogen is on the horizon (finally) with smaller, more efficient fuel cells rather than huge tanks of liquified fuel that I studied in college back in 1983 (yes Boys and Girls, there we colleges waaaayyyy back then too, lol!!!!) but this too is a short term solution. I have no idea how to get out of this fossil fuel trap we are in but I DO believe the tech is already there and proven but not profitable at this time in our "evolution". Money and greed are still king!!
Not a rebuttal, but you make me think of the transition to digital watches. The ICE is the mechanical clockwork of the time keeping world. digi clocks are far superior. They have replaced mechanical clocks in just about every facet. Save for enthusiasts, who do enjoy the complications. They are heavier, bulkier, more complex, subject to mechanical failure, and are very expensive to buy and fix. Battery and electric motor solves a lot of problems for a lot of people who just need a car, or need to build said car.
I don’t think ice will be extinct, but I do think it’s obsolete. As long as there is a market for a 3 million dollar wristwatch, there will be a market for the internal combustion engine

· Registered
3,330 Posts
Yes.....I certainly am comparing apples to oranges...or...in this case...PHEV's and BEV's.

I think a compelling case could be made that X number of Wrangler 4XE's equaling just ONE Hummer in total battery size.....could be of more benefit environmentally than the single Hummer.

And...I stand by my assertion that the Hummer is the poster child for conspicuous consumption.

· Registered
58 Posts
B
Both are examples of products not designed to maximize efficiency, whether phev or bev. The 4xe sells well despite probably being one of the worst phev products based on efficiency only or miles out of the size of the battery pack.

I’m a 4xe owner, not criticizing.

Reactions: Adventurer55
1 - 20 of 56 Posts