Allpar Forums banner

501 - 520 of 575 Posts

·
Jeepaholic
5,626 Posts
Let me be the first to wish you well on your purchase......even if it is a Ford.

Now that I think of it...You could have made the argument to your wife that no animals were harmed in the manufacture of the Durango's interior.:p:D
Well, that was a consideration, but we got synthetic leather in the Explorer. It doesn’t scream “base model”, and honestly I am impressed. I was ready to be underwhelmed when I went to go see it. I don’t want to go too much into it, this ain’t the place for it. But I really liked the Durango too. Had I been able to get the V8 with cloth or synthetic leather, it would’ve been a no-brainer choice for me.

The buying experience was really nice at the Ford dealer, they are the same one I bought my Mustang from back in 2010. The same salesman too...and he remembered my wife and I and a lot about us. They treated us like family.

By the same token, the CDJR dealer was pretty cool too. It’s the same one I’ve used for years. The sales manager has checked in with me a few times to see if I had any questions or anything, and they had even offered to show me the Explorer...they’re all under the same ownership. I was very pleased with my experience with them as well. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back when it’s time to get a Gladiator in a couple years.

·
Super Moderator
37,246 Posts
People seem to be eager to put the Explorer down. There’s a reason it sells as well as it does. It’s a decent product.

Congratulations!

Reactions: Zagnut27

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I’ll get flamed for this...lol, but we went with the Explorer. I was really impressed with it...it’s a 2021. Either way, my wife was not happy with the cloth interior of the Durango so it was pretty much a no-go. We were going to look at an Acadia too, but the dealer stopped responding.
No flaming from me. Congrats on the purchase. The Explorer is a sharp looking ride.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thats interesting as I havent seen a dart or 200 in awhile around here
I had two pass me (in my Jeep) yesterday on I-69 coming out of Evansville, IN heading north. Actually, a late DCX 200 and an FCA 200. I couldn't help but think liking both, except for the back end of the DCX version looks goofy to me.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Well, that was a consideration, but we got synthetic leather in the Explorer. It doesn’t scream “base model”, and honestly I am impressed. I was ready to be underwhelmed when I went to go see it. I don’t want to go too much into it, this ain’t the place for it. But I really liked the Durango too. Had I been able to get the V8 with cloth or synthetic leather, it would’ve been a no-brainer choice for me.

The buying experience was really nice at the Ford dealer, they are the same one I bought my Mustang from back in 2010. The same salesman too...and he remembered my wife and I and a lot about us. They treated us like family.

By the same token, the CDJR dealer was pretty cool too. It’s the same one I’ve used for years. The sales manager has checked in with me a few times to see if I had any questions or anything, and they had even offered to show me the Explorer...they’re all under the same ownership. I was very pleased with my experience with them as well. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back when it’s time to get a Gladiator in a couple years.
I don't know...maybe my idea of what constitutes a nice interior is stuck somewhere in the 1970's, but......I don't remember cloth seats in a car being considered an interior for a base model or stripper. I might be wearing rose-colored glasses, but I think I remember a lot of the fabrics used for car upholstery were quite nice.

What I DO remember was a lot of cars of the day had the most terrible vinyl seats...the sort of seats where...in summer...you were being roasted alive...and...in winter...you were about to die of hypothermia!

Leather seating seems to have become so common these days. There was a time when it was found mainly in Premium or Luxury models.

HELP ME LORD!!!......i'M STARTING TO SOUND LIKE AN OLD PERSON!!!:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I’ll get flamed for this...lol, but we went with the Explorer. I was really impressed with it...it’s a 2021. Either way, my wife was not happy with the cloth interior of the Durango so it was pretty much a no-go. We were going to look at an Acadia too, but the dealer stopped responding.
My buddy had an acadia, they came back from Florida with it, pulled into the driveway and the transmission let go.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,801 Posts
Congrats! I have a friend that has purchased one a couple of years ago. He has almost always bought Fords. The only non-Ford he has is a '69 Firebird convertible he has had since high school - badly needs work - it's stored in his garage.

Agree with Valiant - the Explorer seems to be a decent product though it's not something we would consider purchasing.

·
Jeepaholic
5,626 Posts
I don't know...maybe my idea of what constitutes a nice interior is stuck somewhere in the 1970's, but......I don't remember cloth seats in a car being considered an interior for a base model or stripper. I might be wearing rose-colored glasses, but I think I remember a lot of the fabrics used for car upholstery were quite nice.

What I DO remember was a lot of cars of the day had the most terrible vinyl seats...the sort of seats where...in summer...you were being roasted alive...and...in winter...you were about to die of hypothermia!

Leather seating seems to have become so common these days. There was a time when it was found mainly in Premium or Luxury models.

HELP ME LORD!!!......i'M STARTING TO SOUND LIKE AN OLD PERSON!!!:eek::eek::eek:
Yeah, those vinyl seats were awful! They made waffle marks on the backs of your sweaty legs in the summer. Lol. Now, fabric seems to be the base choice. They put leather everywhere anymore...and if you don’t want leather, there aren’t too many choices except the base model...with cloth.

My buddy had an acadia, they came back from Florida with it, pulled into the driveway and the transmission let go.
I was researching them, and I had been seeing lots of complaints about just that. It didn’t give me the warm and fuzzies, that’s for sure.

Congrats! I have a friend that has purchased one a couple of years ago. He has almost always bought Fords. The only non-Ford he has is a '69 Firebird convertible he has had since high school - badly needs work - it's stored in his garage.

Agree with Valiant - the Explorer seems to be a decent product though it's not something we would consider purchasing.
I didn’t think we would consider one either. We liked the Explorer in pics when it was first revealed, but not so much in person. And then with all the issues they had initially...it kinda fell off our list. @Aldo shared a review video with me before we purchased it, and all the items that the guy in the video was griping about, seem to have been addressed in the 2021.

I truly mean it when I say I wasn’t expecting to like it when I went to go look at it. I figured the pics looked good, but it probably wouldn’t be as nice in person, and then I’d be able to go back to my wife and say, “well, it looks like crap, let’s go order a Durango.” Alas, it didn’t work out that way. Lol.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Congratulations! I think the Ford Explorer is a very good looking vehicle! My only personal issue with it has been some of the dashboard plastic when I saw one at an auto show. But that's a minor thing.

Personally I prefer non cloth seats, and it amazes me how many $40k+ Dodges there are now on dealer lots that don't have leather. Amazing that I got my Challenger R/T in 2010 for $33k (MSRP was $36k) with leather and updated audio.

·
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #510

Congratulations!

Although I think the Durango leather seats are made from roadkill, so technically speaking, no animals get harmed on purpose...:p

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,801 Posts
Yeah, those vinyl seats were awful! They made waffle marks on the backs of your sweaty legs in the summer.
Indeed. Dad's '72 Charger had those vinyl seats. In the summer you were peeling your legs off the seat to move or when you got out.

The most comfortable seats I ever had were in the '00 T&C Ltd we had. It had leather seats contoured such that I could drive for hours - even with a bad back.

·
Jeepaholic
5,626 Posts
It’ll be interesting to see how the material holds up over the years, especially with two kids doing their very best to ruin them. :D

Thanks everybody! I may have to wait a few more years to get my Gladiator now though. My wife now says the Explorer is my car because I’ll be the one who drives it the most...so she gets to make the next purchase, a Porsche Macan perhaps. Granted I drive us everywhere so I’m the one who predominantly drives ALL of our vehicles...but I digress. :D

Stay tuned, the battle continues......

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,801 Posts
It’ll be interesting to see how the material holds up over the years, especially with two kids doing their very best to ruin them. :D

Thanks everybody! I may have to wait a few more years to get my Gladiator now though. My wife now says the Explorer is my car because I’ll be the one who drives it the most...so she gets to make the next purchase, a Porsche Macan perhaps. Granted I drive us everywhere so I’m the one who predominantly drives ALL of our vehicles...but I digress. :D

Stay tuned, the battle continues......

Been there. Done that. Though my wife did let me buy my Ram 14 years ago but it had to have seating for 6. At least it had the Hemi. :D

We have an agreement. We can both get what we want so long as he or she can pay for it. So when I pay off her Equinox (which is only in my name, but it's "her" car, go figure :confused:), I can buy my Challenger :p and she can buy her Mustang.

·
Administrator
35,548 Posts
Indeed. Dad's '72 Charger had those vinyl seats. In the summer you were peeling your legs off the seat to move or when you got out.

The most comfortable seats I ever had were in the '00 T&C Ltd we had. It had leather seats contoured such that I could drive for hours - even with a bad back.
I loved velour when it came - and then even the plain cloth - because vinyl was the worst of both worlds. At least cloth and velour never burned you!

Best car seats I've known were in the 2000 300M. They lasted years and years, but as you say, insanely comfortable and supportive. The 300C was not an improvement despite the Alacantara leather. Both had seat warmers; 300C also has fans.

Dart seats are a cheap ugly black but they're good at function, which is to say I find them pretty comfortable. Neon seats were good, too.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
My girlfriend's EcoDiesel saga has continued...

She got her truck back on Friday after almost 3 weeks in the shop (they were waiting on parts). I happened to be with her when she got it back. We drove it off the lot and immediately noticed a bad vibration when accelerating. She called the dealership to let them know it would be coming back on the following Monday (we picked it up at closing time and she needed to drop me off at an appointment so we couldn't just turn back around). They claimed to have driven it 30 miles after repairing and it was problem free, but I figure "problem free" is a relative term when servicing EcoDiesels. I drove it Saturday while we were out checking on the horse and running errands, and the vibration was worse. Yesterday, we didn't take the truck out any, but today she drove it to work this morning and the check engine light came back on.

She took it to the dealer this morning and got her loaner back. The mechanic made a point to talk to her and said to walk with him outside because he "couldn't say what he needed to tell her inside the dealership." Once outside, he went on to explain that while he is happy to continue to service it, he can run codes and swap out parts from now until eternity but it will never be a reliable vehicle. He said that parts are becoming hard to track down and he feels that Chrysler is ashamed of the engine. He also stated that he agreed with her plan to drive it until the day the warranty is up (less than 6,000 miles left) and trade it in. He was sympathetic but he made a point to say that he felt it was unlikely that the dealership would "do the right thing" and buy it back, so trading it for something else is her best bet.

She's saving her money to put a big down payment on something else and plans on making a purchase in January.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I loved velour when it came - and then even the plain cloth - because vinyl was the worst of both worlds. At least cloth and velour never burned you!

Best car seats I've known were in the 2000 300M. They lasted years and years, but as you say, insanely comfortable and supportive. The 300C was not an improvement despite the Alacantara leather. Both had seat warmers; 300C also has fans.

Dart seats are a cheap ugly black but they're good at function, which is to say I find them pretty comfortable. Neon seats were good, too.
Beat seats hands down were in the 1994 LHS.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
My girlfriend's EcoDiesel saga has continued...

She got her truck back on Friday after almost 3 weeks in the shop (they were waiting on parts). I happened to be with her when she got it back. We drove it off the lot and immediately noticed a bad vibration when accelerating. She called the dealership to let them know it would be coming back on the following Monday (we picked it up at closing time and she needed to drop me off at an appointment so we couldn't just turn back around). They claimed to have driven it 30 miles after repairing and it was problem free, but I figure "problem free" is a relative term when servicing EcoDiesels. I drove it Saturday while we were out checking on the horse and running errands, and the vibration was worse. Yesterday, we didn't take the truck out any, but today she drove it to work this morning and the check engine light came back on.

She took it to the dealer this morning and got her loaner back. The mechanic made a point to talk to her and said to walk with him outside because he "couldn't say what he needed to tell her inside the dealership." Once outside, he went on to explain that while he is happy to continue to service it, he can run codes and swap out parts from now until eternity but it will never be a reliable vehicle. He said that parts are becoming hard to track down and he feels that Chrysler is ashamed of the engine. He also stated that he agreed with her plan to drive it until the day the warranty is up (less than 6,000 miles left) and trade it in. He was sympathetic but he made a point to say that he felt it was unlikely that the dealership would "do the right thing" and buy it back, so trading it for something else is her best bet.

She's saving her money to put a big down payment on something else and plans on making a purchase in January.
Honestly, if was her, I would walk right into that dealership and tell the service manager what that "person" said. His opinions are irrelevant. As a representative of FCA it's their job to fix her truck. If the vibration wasn't there before their work, it's on them. If it came new like that it's on FCA. I'm going to plop down some hard earned money for a truck in the near future. It hopefully will be a new one. I still have my last new truck, and it's 18 years old. I will not stand for these shenanigans, if mine isn't perfect when it get it, or if the dealer needs to perform warranty work on it, it better be fixed right, or they get to keep until it is.

·
Administrator
35,548 Posts
Beat seats hands down were in the 1994 LHS.
I liked the LHS too. I preferred the 300M by the slightest of margins. They were probably very similar. Second generation of the same car, after all, and one of the few they didn't “cost-cut” after 1999.

·
Administrator
35,548 Posts
Honestly, if was her, I would walk right into that dealership and tell the service manager what that "person" said. His opinions are irrelevant. As a representative of FCA it's their job to fix her truck. If the vibration wasn't there before their work, it's on them. If it came new like that it's on FCA. I'm going to plop down some hard earned money for a truck in the near future. It hopefully will be a new one. I still have my last new truck, and it's 18 years old. I will not stand for these shenanigans, if mine isn't perfect when it get it, or if the dealer needs to perform warranty work on it, it better be fixed right, or they get to keep until it is.
Absolutely agreed!

501 - 520 of 575 Posts