Allpar Forums banner

541 - 560 of 575 Posts

·
Jeepaholic
5,626 Posts
l was just thinking - l think - that after your "interesting" experience with your Audi, would l go back to the same "family"?:confused::):)
Just joking, l think.
Well, this isn’t up to me...lol. But it would be a different dealer, it’s over in Newark which is much easier to get to, and closer. Which would be better for, you know, those “service” visits. :D

Reactions: Morty

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Once it's running properly get rid of it. Find someplace like CarMax that buys cars and see what is offered. Hopefully more than payoff. Then buy a cheapie beater truck until after you get your farm bought and closed. Believe me, it will help a lot to have no car loan when buying a house..
That would be ideal, but trucks seem to be overvalued in our area...even finding a beater is becoming a challenge. Regardless, that is a route we're considering if can find the right truck. The good news is she has equity in her truck if she can get close to KBB for it.

Agree with Valiant. Mortgage companies frown on new loans (especially car loans). It's not that they won't approve the mortgage loan, but it may reduce the amount they'll let you borrow. Better to purchase the house first and then buy a relatively newer vehicle. I have friends that work in the real estate industry and all of them would advise this. It's hard enough getting a mortgage with good credit with all the hoops you have to jump through. Get a beater truck you can pay cash for.
She's actually a mortgage loan originator, so we're up to speed on the process (and all the potential hangups). The plan has always been to buy property then a truck, but with the horses medical issues, lack of available real estate inventory, and increasing truck problems, we may have to do it backwards.

The problem with the truck this time around seems to be with the cylinder heads on the engine. After a week and a half of silence, the dealership called on Wednesday and said they had to file a case with Chrysler to get them replaced (I'm not exactly sure what she meant by that, but that is how it was conveyed to me), but that this should fix the vibration issue. :confused: A quick google search did show that apparently that is one of the many common issues with the engine, so I don't know why they didn't diagnose it the first time. Apparently now they're waiting on parts to fix it.

Well, in the interim, what we were fearing would happen did take place. The horse had another medical issue on Wednesday/Thursday and needed to go to Lexington because the local vet was unable to be of any assistance. Fortunately, a friend let her borrow one of their trucks so she could haul him out there (about a 2.5 hour drive from us) and get him care. She now says that while she enjoyed the towing ability of their GMC Duramax, she doesn't think the interior quality justifies the price tag (apparently it was a $70k+ truck).

Anyways, as a reward to all of you who have been keeping up with this saga, here is a picture of a very high-maintenance saddlebred.
Snapchat-340168799b.jpg

·
Registered
2,453 Posts

·
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #544
The latest on the Wrangler forums are brand-spanking 2021 JLs coming out poorly painted.

See below:
upload_2020-11-15_10-45-25.jpeg

upload_2020-11-15_10-46-19.jpeg

Hard to believe this is the paint finish on a $50,000 to $60,000 vehicle.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Absolutely!! Is there no end of line inspection? That is an absolute disgrace.
l have visited quite a few car factories - assembly lines - during a fairly long life:)
Of course, in any factory, paint and or other deficiences happen all the time, but end of line inspection will take care of that.....or??

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
l have visited quite a few car factories - assembly lines - during a fairly long life:)
Of course, in any factory, paint and or other deficiences happen all the time, but end of line inspection will take care of that.....or??
Either management isn't letting it happen, or isn't ensuring it happens.

·
Super Moderator
37,246 Posts
So here's some nice corporate double speak for you. After people were told their JT (and I'll assume JL as well) replacement steering box orders were being cancelled and that there was a hold on the recall campaign, Jeep Cares responded on the Gladiator forum:
"Part orders were initially cancelled to better streamline the parts ordering process. Our dealers are aware of the new ordering process and we advise you to please continue working with your dealer."

Nothing sure streamlines the ordering process like cancelling orders!

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Administrator
35,548 Posts
[sigh]
Y'know, something vaguely like this happened a few years back. When Pietro Gorlier, then head of Mopar found out, suddenly all the problems disappeared and the parts were made and distributed within two weeks.

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts
The dealership is also to blame. They must thoroughly inspect every new vehicle that arrives for transit damage or incorrect specs from the factory like wrong wheels, badges, etc. Most just take a quick glance at it and call it a day.

You'd be surprised how many FCA vehicles I've seen with transit damage compared to the low number of GM vehicles that arrive with damage. Not that I think GM is great, by any means.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
My grandfather owned one of the first minivans sold in the area he lived in in Ohio in 1984. It was a brown Voyager LE with woodgrain and wire wheel covers. He had waited on its arrival at the dealership for quite some time. The dealership called, and said it would be delivered on that day. We went to watch it being unloaded. As the driver was unloading it he busted the left mirror clear off on the driver's side. Talk about letting the air out of an old navy man's sail. God was he upset.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
This is an update (from post #543) following the never ending problems the guys from TFL Channel are having with JLR products.
There's a BIG lesson that FCA can learn here from the way JLR Corporate AND the local dealer are going the extra mile in the way of customer care

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The dealership had my girlfriend's EcoDiesel on Halloween and now Thanksgiving. I told her she needs to sue for custody if she wants to spend Christmas with her truck.

About three weeks ago now, one of the people at the dealership told her that it should be about a day to get parts and a day for labor on the most recent needed repair. When she called a few days later for an update, a different person told her that there was no way they would be able to get parts that quick and that the person who told her that was full of it.

Last weekend, she test drove a Tundra which she loved...but she didn't have her truck available to trade in, so she wasn't able to buy it. It sold later that day.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
This is an update (from post #543) following the never ending problems the guys from TFL Channel are having with JLR products.
There's a BIG lesson that FCA can learn here from the way JLR Corporate AND the local dealer are going the extra mile in the way of customer care
You really think they would get this treatment without their YouTube channel?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The dealership is also to blame. They must thoroughly inspect every new vehicle that arrives for transit damage or incorrect specs from the factory like wrong wheels, badges, etc. Most just take a quick glance at it and call it a day.

You'd be surprised how many FCA vehicles I've seen with transit damage compared to the low number of GM vehicles that arrive with damage. Not that I think GM is great, by any means.
Many years ago my sister and brother-in-law bought a Pontiac Astre wagon, they were so proud of it when they came to visit our family. But when walking around the vehicle I noticed that 1/2 of the vehicle was badged as Astre, the other 1/2 as Vega. Apparently nobody noticed it before delivering it to the customer. :eek:

I ordered a '79 Mustang to get exactly what I wanted. When I went to the dealership to pick it up, it was missing the orange pin stripe on the driver's door, but the pin stripe was present on all the other panels. How does that happen, and how does nobody else not notice it and take care of it before I arrive to take delivery :oops:

On my '06 PT Cruiser, on one of the early alignments that I had done on it, the L/R was so far out of specs, that if left as is, the tires could wear prematurely on that corner. There are no adjustments available on the rear. The dealership attempted to install plastic shims to bring it within specs and those collapsed shortly after installing. That dealership refused to do anything about their sub-standard work and I eventually got a refund after filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

I went to another dealership that had a 30+ year suspension tech that knew exactly what to do. He installed a metal shim and put it in writing that he guaranteed it to last and not go out of specs. To this day, the rear is still within specs.

I know Chrysler can't put every vehicle on an alignment machine as they head down the assembly line. But later on if a situation is brought to their attention, I think they could have covered some of the $ that I spent bringing their vehicle within specs that they specify. ;)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
And the EcoDiesel hits just keep on coming.

FCA has issued a recall for 28,884 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs from model years 2014 to 2019 equipped with the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel engine. The recall is due to the potential for the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) cooler to crack because of "thermal fatigue," which could lead to vaporized coolant entering the intake manifold and potentially resulting in a fire, according to a filing with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
FCA Recalls 2014–2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee with EcoDiesel Engine

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

·
Jeepaholic
5,626 Posts

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
So the Gladiator has trouble towing? This is the first I've seen this complaint, anyone else heard this?

Did Motor Trend check tongue weight? Check the trailer weight front to rear? Adjust Gladiator tire pressure? Adjust trailer tire pressure?
Did they check with Jeep to make sure the Trailer Sway Control system was operating correctly?

Personally I don't have any faith in electronic stability and traction controls and wouldn't want to have to depend on them for trailer sway control either.

·
Jeepaholic
5,626 Posts
Did Motor Trend check tongue weight? Check the trailer weight front to rear? Adjust Gladiator tire pressure? Adjust trailer tire pressure?
Did they check with Jeep to make sure the Trailer Sway Control system was operating correctly?

Personally I don't have any faith in electronic stability and traction controls and wouldn't want to have to depend on them for trailer sway control either.
Yeah, that did cross my mind. I'd like to think that they know what they're doing...though that may be misplaced faith.

I've heard various complaints about Gladiator, but this is the first I've seen anyone complain about towing with one. I can see maybe the Mojave trim since it has a different suspension set up, but why would the diesel have a detrimental effect? Are they just morons?

·
Super Moderator
37,246 Posts
So the Gladiator has trouble towing? This is the first I've seen this complaint, anyone else heard this?

If I look at the picture they provide, their setup just doesn’t look right. The front of the truck is raised likely the tongue weight is too high.

I towed a 6x12 UHaul trailer from PA to GA. It wasn’t fun, constant work to keep it in its lane even loaded properly, I blame it on the sloppy steering which I still need the TSB box replacement done. I notice even with a light load in the box steering deteriorates quickly.

Supposedly all 2021s have the new steering box, so I think the main blame is their setup.

541 - 560 of 575 Posts