Allpar Forums banner

561 - 575 of 575 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
So the Gladiator has trouble towing? This is the first I've seen this complaint, anyone else heard this?

I towed heavy with the Gladiator and it did an amazing job. Felt identical to my full size 1/2 ton trucks. I pulled everything.. a U-haul auto transport trailer with a V8 supercharged muscle car on it, an enclosed trailer with a 9' total height that grabbed all kinds of wind, etc. The Gladiator felt planted, stable, and the braking was great. Zero issues.

·
Jeepaholic
5,651 Posts
IIRC the early reviews of Gladiator didn’t mention any problems with towing, especially when compared with the Colorado, Tacoma, and the Ranger. And from what you guys are saying, it sounds like this can be attributed to operator error and not an actual issue with the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
So the Gladiator has trouble towing? This is the first I've seen this complaint, anyone else heard this?

Those guys still ramble about trouble finding auto diesel. That's never a problem in 3/4 of the country anymore. Certainly not one on most Interstate routes. With so many pusher diesel motorhomes, they have it at any truck stop off to the side of the car pumps at the Flying J Whiteland Rd, south of Indy, for example.

·
Jeepaholic
5,651 Posts
Those guys still ramble about trouble finding auto diesel. That's never a problem in 3/4 of the country anymore. Certainly not one on most Interstate routes. With so many pusher diesel motorhomes, they have it at any truck stop off to the side of the car pumps at the Flying J Whiteland Rd, south of Indy, for example.
Availability of diesel would be one consideration for me if I were interested in getting one, but every gas station I go to pretty much has at least one diesel pump from what I’ve noticed. But I live near several major trucking routes so I’m not sure how that translates to areas that are more “off the beaten path“...though I suppose farm equipment probably uses it too. I’ve driven diesel vehicles sporadically in my life, but not enough to know the logistics of owning one. I don’t see one in my future though...and I doubt I’ll be ranting about it in a National publication either any time soon. :D

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,813 Posts
The local convenience stores (Wa Wa, Sheetz, and Murphy's) have at least 4 pumps each that have a diesel nozzle as well as the gasoline nozzle. Same for most the convenience stores in the region. The local Shell only has one pump, but it's a small station with only about 5-6 pumps with one for diesel and one for kerosene and the rest for gasoline.

I don’t see one in my future though...and I doubt I’ll be ranting about it in a National publication either any time soon. :D
I doubt I will ever have a diesel powered vehicle. At one point I considered getting a HD Ram 2500 w/diesel but I really don't tow much and what few times I would tow the 6.4L Hemi would probably do fine.

As it is my next purchase will probably be a used Challenger and we know they don't come with a diesel. ;)

To date there are no public charging stations for EV's in my local area.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Availability of diesel would be one consideration for me if I were interested in getting one, but every gas station I go to pretty much has at least one diesel pump from what I’ve noticed. But I live near several major trucking routes so I’m not sure how that translates to areas that are more “off the beaten path“...though I suppose farm equipment probably uses it too. I’ve driven diesel vehicles sporadically in my life, but not enough to know the logistics of owning one. I don’t see one in my future though...and I doubt I’ll be ranting about it in a National publication either any time soon. :D
Our farm is near Evansville, IN, which is the 3d largest city in Indiana behind Indy and Ft Wayne, in the southwest, tip-toe of the state, at the southern end of the new I-69 extension. All but one of the diesel powered machines on the farm until this Fall were tractors which run on untaxed offroad fuel. We bought a second semi tractor a month ago. We have a large diesel tank for offroad fuel, but not for road fuel, which is taxed. Our location is about 10 miles from our elevator, on the east side of Evansville, in Newburgh, and nowhere close to a truckstop. Ironically, the local COOP gets it's fuel on the west side of Evansville, where Countrymark has a refinery in Mt Vernon. I've had to fuel both rigs at a local Marathon C-store that's a mile down the road from the elevator. If you time it right, it's not too bad, but it's not convenient otherwise, and takes forever, since the pump setups are not built to quickly fill the 120 gallon tanks on a HD truck. Dad says he's putting the road fuel tank in before next Fall. Fueling in town nearby (5 miles) basically requires dropping your trailer, and the nearby Pacific Pride truck fuel station doesn't take credit cards, uses a proprietary card system and direct bills your bank. Diesels are more expensive all-around than gasoline engines to maintain, but once you get to hauling heavy, there's really no substitute currently. Our latest truck purchase is a 1995 Kenworth T800 with a 12.7 L Detroit Series 60, which has the benefit of cheap parts AND an almost bulletproof design, and a really good price. You can buy a Class 8 semi tractor under $15,000 at that age. The other truck is a 1994 Peterbilt with a 11 L 3176 CAT, which being a CAT engine, is not going to be cheap to work on. Not surprisingly, the 12.7 L Detroit will eat the CAT towing. I can pull almost 5 tons more load with the KW and still have some spare power. I don't want to think about the fuel requirements to do that with a gasoline engine. It would probably have to be one of those first V16 hemis that Chrysler built for the P47. :cool:

·
Jeepaholic
5,651 Posts
Our farm is near Evansville, IN, which is the 3d largest city in Indiana behind Indy and Ft Wayne, in the southwest, tip-toe of the state, at the southern end of the new I-69 extension. All but one of the diesel powered machines on the farm until this Fall were tractors which run on untaxed offroad fuel. We bought a second semi tractor a month ago. We have a large diesel tank for offroad fuel, but not for road fuel, which is taxed. Our location is about 10 miles from our elevator, on the east side of Evansville, in Newburgh, and nowhere close to a truckstop. Ironically, the local COOP gets it's fuel on the west side of Evansville, where Countrymark has a refinery in Mt Vernon. I've had to fuel both rigs at a local Marathon C-store that's a mile down the road from the elevator. If you time it right, it's not too bad, but it's not convenient otherwise, and takes forever, since the pump setups are not built to quickly fill the 120 gallon tanks on a HD truck. Dad says he's putting the road fuel tank in before next Fall. Fueling in town nearby (5 miles) basically requires dropping your trailer, and the nearby Pacific Pride truck fuel station doesn't take credit cards, uses a proprietary card system and direct bills your bank. Diesels are more expensive all-around than gasoline engines to maintain, but once you get to hauling heavy, there's really no substitute currently. Our latest truck purchase is a 1995 Kenworth T800 with a 12.7 L Detroit Series 60, which has the benefit of cheap parts AND an almost bulletproof design, and a really good price. You can buy a Class 8 semi tractor under $15,000 at that age. The other truck is a 1994 Peterbilt with a 11 L 3176 CAT, which being a CAT engine, is not going to be cheap to work on. Not surprisingly, the 12.7 L Detroit will eat the CAT towing. I can pull almost 5 tons more load with the KW and still have some spare power. I don't want to think about the fuel requirements to do that with a gasoline engine. It would probably have to be one of those first V16 hemis that Chrysler built for the P47. :cool:
A P47...now that would look nice in my driveway! (Wife would think otherwise). Of course it’d be difficult to park the cars along side of it. Perhaps better to get a F6 Hellcat...folding wings! :LOL:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
A P47...now that would look nice in my driveway! (Wife would think otherwise). Of course it’d be difficult to park the cars along side of it. Perhaps better to get a F6 Hellcat...folding wings! :LOL:
I've always wanted a Corsair. We had the Republic P-47D plant (RA) in Evansville, which later made the IHC Garand rifles, now the defunct Whirlpool plant, but my maternal grandmother was a Navy inspector at the Briggs-run Evansville Chrysler plant where they made Corsair wings. USS Evansville Project

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,813 Posts
I've always wanted a Corsair. We had the Republic P-47D plant (RA) in Evansville, which later made the IHC Garand rifles, now the defunct Whirlpool plant, but my maternal grandmother was a Navy inspector at the Briggs-run Evansville Chrysler plant where they made Corsair wings. USS Evansville Project

I recently ran across a video on YouTube that had eleven Corsairs flying together at a airshow in 2019. The neatest part of the video was all eleven unfolding their wings simultaneously.

A few years ago I fired an M1 Garand rifle that had a friend had. It had the original iron sights. That rifle about tore my shoulder apart after only 5 rounds. We also fired an AR-15, M1 Carbine and a 30-06 that day.

·
Jeepaholic
5,651 Posts

My middle brother was always a big fan of the Corsair, and he loved the tv show Baa Baa Black Sheep. An amazing aircraft, but difficult to learn how to fly. It was nicknamed the “ensign eliminator” for that reason.

I recently ran across a video on YouTube that had eleven Corsairs flying together at a airshow in 2019. The neatest part of the video was all eleven unfolding their wings simultaneously.

A few years ago I fired an M1 Garand rifle that had a friend had. It had the original iron sights. That rifle about tore my shoulder apart after only 5 rounds. We also fired an AR-15, M1 Carbine and a 30-06 that day.
The Garand was quite a rifle. The M16 felt like a toy by comparison.

Reactions: Tony K and page2171

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

Gotta get the buttplate in the shoulder right, but M1s are not really heavy recoiling if you're using standard 150gr M2 Ball. I tore up my shoulder one day with a 6.5x55 firing standard 140 gr loads because I got the butt on a ligament. Ouch! You can get away with that with an AR15, but not serious high power stuff.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,813 Posts
Gotta get the buttplate in the shoulder right, but M1s are not really heavy recoiling if you're using standard 150gr M2 Ball. I tore up my shoulder one day with a 6.5x55 firing standard 140 gr loads because I got the butt on a ligament. Ouch! You can get away with that with an AR15, but not serious high power stuff.
Not sure what grain rounds we were using. All I can tell you is the Garand had more kick than the AR-15. The AR-15 does have a recoil spring in the stock whereas the Garand does not. The M1 Carbine had the lightest kick of all that I fired that day. You are right though - I may not have had the buttplate seated to my shoulder quite right. The Garand was the last weapon I fired that day and I may have gotten a little sloppy.

My middle brother was always a big fan of the Corsair, and he loved the tv show Baa Baa Black Sheep. An amazing aircraft, but difficult to learn how to fly. It was nicknamed the “ensign eliminator” for that reason.
Supposedly the Japanese nicknamed the Corsair, "Whistling Death". Either way, the Corsair and the F6F HellCat were awesome aircraft for their time. The Mitsubishi Zero was no slouch - it was more or less on par with the F6F, but had no armour, and the Japanese did not update the Zero. Plus their fighter pilots were not as well trained towards the end of the war. They lost a lot of well trained pilots at Coral Sea, Midway and the long Solomons Islands campaign. In fact by 1944 at the Battle of the Philippine Sea the Japanese pilots were so ill trained that US pilots had a field day in what came to be known as "The Great Marianas Turkey Shoot." Of 373 carrier aircraft, the Japanese lost 243 to combat with the remainder lost when the Taiho and Shokaku were sunk.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
When looking at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee inventory of my local dealer each vehicle shows an icon named "Jeep Wave Customer Care":
  • No Charge Worry-Free Maintenance
  • Confidence with Vehicle Protection
  • Dedicated 24/7 Owner Support
  • VIP Access to Jeep Brand Events
A new initiative?

Reactions: HotCarNut

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Well, my girlfriend's EcoDiesel saga is over.

Last Wednesday, after telling her it should be ready Monday, the dealer called and let her know that her truck was ready to pick up. By this point it had spent 2 months or so in their possession, but to their credit, the vibration issue had ceased. On Thursday, she located a few CPO Tundras that met her needs and began to contact the various dealers. Most of the 5 or so dealers she contacted were offering her a laughable amount on trade-in, so she listed her truck on FB Marketplace for roughly KBB value. She had a couple of people lined up to see the truck on Friday, but in the interim one of the dealers finally came within an acceptable range for her on trade-in (basically payoff amount), so she cancelled those appointments. Saturday morning, we got up early and drove the truck to a neighboring state (about 220 miles away) to the dealership. That was probably the most nerve racking drive I have ever been on, as we were both silently praying it wouldn't throw another CEL. Alas, we made it to the dealer without any mechanical issues (but we could still smell the DEF). They gave the truck a quick once over and finalized the trade-in value at what they had previously offered. She had pre-negotiated everything else and Toyota was offering a financing special on CPO vehicles, so we were in and out of the dealership in about an hour and a half. No attempts to upsell her on anything, just a quick test drive and signing some paperwork. All of the staff were courteous and you felt they valued you as a customer, even if you were buying a used vehicle - stark contrast to any of my experiences with FCA dealers.

Her new truck, a 2017 Tundra, makes me mad. Why? Because with the exception of the interior features, everything else about it feels like a so much more complete vehicle than her truck ever did. Time will tell whether or not her new truck is the reliable replacement we were looking for, but her entire EcoDiesel experience has continued to sour me on FCA (or whatever they are now). I've been a Mopar advocate most of my adult life, my family has owned primarily Mopar vehicles going back to the 70s, I have spent countless hours defending Mopar on various forums and blogs trying to convince people that the Dodge Caliber was in fact an adequate form of transportation...but now I'm asking myself why I bothered.

This morning, my Jeep hit 79,999 miles when I pulled into my parking spot but it feels older. I paid it off last year and I plan on driving it into the ground, but I'm also afraid that that time may happen sooner rather than later. If that happens tomorrow, I won't be going to an FCA dealer to buy a replacement.

I'd like to end with a challenge to FCA/Stellanis. Prove to me that you care about your customers...prove to me that you are actually trying to improve the dealership experience...prove to me that you actually want to make quality and reliable vehicles...prove to me that you aren't just chasing margins and quarterly profits...and maybe I'll buy a new vehicle from you.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,813 Posts
I'd like to end with a challenge to FCA/Stellanis. Prove to me that you care about your customers...prove to me that you are actually trying to improve the dealership experience...prove to me that you actually want to make quality and reliable vehicles...prove to me that you aren't just chasing margins and quarterly profits...and maybe I'll buy a new vehicle from you.
Well said.

561 - 575 of 575 Posts