Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my yearly registration in the mail and geezzz! $94! Just seems so high! When I first bought the car, the yearly registration was $37, then it moved up to $47 and last I remember before NonOp was $62.

Generally, over time the registration gets lower and lower, but not with a classic.

Ok off my soap box I come....

One more thing, I am wanting to buy a truck...the yearly registration will be about $500-600...I must be crazy :excited:

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,674 Posts
The yearly registration here in VA is relatively inexpensive. For cars its about $50 ($10 more if personalized) and trucks under 7,000 lbs it's about $60. but we also have to pay yearly personal property taxes on vehicles to the county. The tax is based in part on the assessed value of the vehicle so as the vehicle ages the tax generally goes down from year to year. However if you fail to pay the tax the state will not allow you to renew your registration until you do. Between the Journey and Ram we pay about $500 annually in personal property taxes. If your vehicle is assessed lower than $200, there is no tax.

We also get charged a yearly county vehicle fee ($23 per vehicle). They use to force you to pay the fee seperately and get a special sticker that had to be fixed to the windshield. They did away with the annual sticker, but we still have to pay the fee. There is a permanent sticker you can get - needed if you want to access the county dump.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well taking the Taxes into account, then I guess that is about right. I just paid the registration on the 200 and it was about $220 and the van was $298 so we are in the same ball park of $500.

Owning cars is expensive.... :runaway:

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Ouch! Here in Arizona the two year registration on my 1994 Dodge Caravan was about $45.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Ouch. Our 2- year registration is $50, and excise tax is $25 per thousand of value, per year. My cars are all between $21 and $30 per year for that. Insurance is about $480 per year each.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bearhawke said:
Ouch! Here in Arizona the two year registration on my 1994 Dodge Caravan was about $45.
Ooooo! I think I found the state I want to move too! But I would loose my original black n yellow plates...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob Lincoln said:
Insurance is about $480 per year each.
I just looked, I paid $320 for one year of insurance on the Valiant. It's not too bad, I have full coverage and can drive it anytime or anywhere. I had looked at classic car insurance and while it is cheaper, there are many things in fine print, that could render the insurance useless.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Registration in the county where I live costs me $24 per year per vehicle. I have 3, so I pay $72.

·
Super Moderator
36,924 Posts
I've seen three different models:
1) Registration fee only (Ohio was this way when I lived there)
2) Registration fee plus a tax based on value due at registration (Georgia uses this system, but has changed)
3) Registration fee plus a tax at some other time (can't recall the state but they taxed the cars on the state income tax form but I did taxes for someone there)
Georgia used a ad valorem tax on top of a $20 registration. It is about $1.50 per year on my Valiant. It would have been $400/year on my Challenger and $90/year on my Dakota. But during 2012 Georgia did away with the yearly tax in exchange for a slightly higher sales tax at purchase. I would not have bought the Challenger or the 300S if I was going to have to pay $400 per year in taxes.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Washington has variable fees. Most cars will pay between $43-$48 but the weight fees can add up. Also, three counties require that you pass emmissions tests. No safety inspection required.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We don't do safety inspections and I feel that we should, you should see the carp that is on the road. Emissions testing for 1976 and newer cars/light duty trucks.

My Valiant does not need an emission test, so that saves me money.

·
Super Moderator
36,924 Posts
Georgia has emission testing in the Atlanta metro, no safety testing I am aware of.
Ohio had random safety testing. Not enough to keep junk off the road.
West Virginia had a yearly inspection (I think based on purchase date while registration was based on birthdate). Many places did the state inspection for $1(that was years ago) because they almost always found something to repair. I took a few cars through inspection for relatives. The cars passed and I never paid a penny beyond the inspection fee to the inspection shop.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Jaime said:
We don't do safety inspections and I feel that we should, you should see the carp that is on the road. Emissions testing for 1976 and newer cars/light duty trucks.

My Valiant does not need an emission test, so that saves me money.
For a car that is 30 years or older in Washington, you can purchase collector plates for a one time fee of $51.75. Must have current tabs on old plate. Then can be driven only for pleasure (not a daily driver) Shows, to repairs, group trips are the qualified uses.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Phoenix and Tucson metro areas here in Arizona: emissions tests are mandated fro 1967 up cars and trucks. Why 1967 makes no sense since except for a PCV valve, NO Federal specification vehicle even had any emissions devices.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bearhawke said:
Phoenix and Tucson metro areas here in Arizona: emissions tests are mandated fro 1967 up cars and trucks. Why 1967 makes no sense since except for a PCV valve, NO Federal specification vehicle even had any emissions devices.
If they are testing such vehicles, what are they testing for? Like you said there is not smog equipment on those era of cars. Very Odd.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
They are testing to a certain level of HC, CO and NOx emissions that were never originally required. If the cars exceed them, they fail and can be taken off the road.

My 72 Dart, which had some emissions controls, but not introduced under any measurement standards, was subject to testing in MA starting in 1983. It passed the 1000 ppm HC limit with a level of 110. in 1984, MA tightened the limit on my 72 Dart to 220 ppm, and it passed at 80. So there is precedent for testing cars that didn't have specified levels to meet when they were produced, and they can fail and be taken off the road. Fair is not the issue here. But there should be exemptions.

MA stopped tailpipe testing in 2008 for cars older than 1996, and now only does OBDII testing.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,674 Posts
68RT said:
For a car that is 30 years or older in Washington, you can purchase collector plates for a one time fee of $51.75. Must have current tabs on old plate. Then can be driven only for pleasure (not a daily driver) Shows, to repairs, group trips are the qualified uses.
Similar in VA. Vehicles 25 years or older can be registered as "Antique". As such they are exempt from emissions and safety inspections. But the owner must show he has other reliable transportation to use as vehicles with antique tags can only be driven up to 5,000 miles per year and no more than 250 miles one way to a "show" and cannot be used as a daily driver. For distances over 250 miles the vehicle would have to be trailered.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Jaime said:
If they are testing such vehicles, what are they testing for? Like you said there is not smog equipment on those era of cars. Very Odd.
I don't understand it either since California is actually more lenient: no emissions tests on 1975 down vehicles. Why 1975 vs. 1974 (last year before catalytic converters) was that Calif had a 'rolling 30 year exception' meaning once a vehicle hit 31 years old, no more smog checks. Well; the politicos in Sacramento decided that wasn't acceptable so the emissions laws were changed-------------again------------in 2005.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts