Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to scrap my 87 2.2 na Sundance... :angry2:

Two years ago I had a series of overheating problems which resulted in a new headgasket. I also put in a new CTS and themostat, and all has been well until today.

I was driving across town in warm weather, bordering on hot, but was keeping an eye on the temp gauge as I noticed it hit about 90 % before the Tstat opened, which is not normal. After that, it rarely got above about 65%, and I could see the Tstat doing its job. I arrived at my destination, backed into the stall, shut the car down and subsequently heard a "hissing" noise (no bubbling).

I popped the hood, and coolant appeared to be spraying out of the oilpan/block seam, near the alternator. The coolant trail on the ground indicated it began leaking immediately after I put it in reverse. Ironically, I had just filled the reservoir with coolant prior to this trip. I just had the oil pump replaced a few weeks ago. After it cooled, I parked it on a hill, removed the cap, turned the heater on and tried to bleed it, on the assumption air had somehow gotten into the system. Again, the Tstat didnt open until 80-90%, and I ended up with a boiling mess bubbling out of the filler neck. I replaced the cap and parked it, once again noticing that coolant appeared to be spraying out of the oilpan/block seam, near the alternator.

Do you think the jackets have blown? What should I be looking for to narrow down the cause?

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
If fluid can leak as a means of steam, then you should be able to safely pressurize the fluid system with a radiator pressure tester to gently force fluid out of the block if it is indeed an issue. May be something like a loose bolt allowing it to leak under pressure, or a freeze plug or the likes.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
It could be that the seal around the water pump o-ring is leaking or the water pump itself is leaking in that area. Another area of concern is the two mounting areas that hold the a/c bracket on. Besides the five bolts that hold it in on the front, there is a bolt and a nut/stud that attach that bracket to the block. I forget which, but either the nut/stud or bolt thread through a water jacket and needs to be sealed to prevent leaks. That is another possible area it could leak.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
The location indeed suggests the water pump. It could be leaking at the seam where the pump body meets the housing, or from the shaft seal.

I pro-actively replace these water pumps every 150K miles.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
You still have an alternator. The bracket for the AC compressor / alternator or non ac / alternator still has the two mounting locations on the side, one of which threads through a water jacket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts