Allpar Forums banner

Chrysler dropped the name "Dodge" from your 201x truck. You call it a:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regardless of what Chrysler calls 'em, I still think of the new trucks as Dodges.

Reactions: Trailmaster

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Does it really matter? It is still the same..

It was a stratigical and business call to begin with to change the Dodge Ram to just Ram..

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Dodge trucks are nearing 100 years of service.
Dodge Trucks, won Dodge it's reputation as dependable.
Dodge Trucks, moved the men that won WWII.
Dodge Trucks were the a industry's standard for durability and toughness.

I understand the reasoning behind Ram, but Fiat needs to get over itself, as it will,always be Dodge Trucks, to many Dodge pickup owners, even if the rebadged Fiats only deserve to be called Rams, because they will never be worthy of the title, Dodge Truck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MoparNorm said:
Dodge trucks are nearing 100 years of service.
Dodge Trucks, won Dodge it's reputation as dependable.
Dodge Trucks, moved the men that won WWII.
Dodge Trucks were the a industry's standard for durability and toughness.

I understand the reasoning behind Ram, but Fiat needs to get over itself, as it will,always be Dodge Trucks, to many Dodge pickup owners, even if the rebadged Fiats only deserve to be called Rams, because they will never be worthy of the title, Dodge Truck.
Amen! If you watch The History Channel's American Restoration, you'll notice occasional shots of a ca. 1950 Dodge-chassis school bus and the camera occasionally zooms in on the Ram's-head hood ornament. Of course we (Allpar folks and other Dodge enthusiasts) don't have to watch that show to see classic Ram emblems, but it does give some exposure to people who don't ordinarily get to encounter them.

The rebadged Fiats might have my father turning over in his grave. For the last 32 years of his life he owned nothing but B-vans and a Caravan. Like the Sprinter before it, the Promaster will benefit from the broad Dodge dealer network, but it looks more dodgy (lower case "d") than Dodge.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,667 Posts
Technically, my truck is a "Dodge Ram", but I often refer to it as "Ram".

To me it doesn't matter - it's still the same truck.

Say what you want about Fiat, but without them Dodge (and/or Ram) would cease to exist.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Doug D said:

Say what you want about Fiat, but without them Dodge (and/or Ram) would cease to exist.
Say what you want, but without Patton driving his Dodge across Italy, Fiat would cease to exist.
History is important. ;)
...and it matters greatly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doug D said:

I think a lot of us do that sort of thing in conversation for brevity: I refer to my Dodge Caravan as a "Caravan," my Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency Elite as a "Ninety Eight" ("98" in writing); my Dodge Aries as a "K-car." The exception is my first car (except among Mopar fans), because I expect to be asked, "What's a Scamp?".

My ladyfriend liked to call her Plymouth Voyager her "V-ger" (reference to Star Trek: The Motion Picture). Among her bygone rides that was one of her favorites. Victim of the [email protected]$$es who plow into parked cars. :cry:

MoparNorm: Love the reference to Patton. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Posting here, I cam my truck a Ram. It's a Dodge in public. I called it a Ram once when talking with a guy who was interested in the Ram Box and he gave me a look like I was a bit soft in the slippers and had a pet name for my truck.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
GasAxe said:
Posting here, I cam my truck a Ram. It's a Dodge in public. I called it a Ram once when talking with a guy who was interested in the Ram Box and he gave me a look like I was a bit soft in the slippers and had a pet name for my truck.
Just say no to Ram... :lol:

Reactions: TommyDodge

·
Registered
749 Posts
If we wanted to chase historic threads maybe the class 5 and up trucks could carry the Studebaker name. The only Studebakers we see much now are the wagons pulled by the Budweiser Clydesdales. Their history is even longer and they made many of the 10x8 military trucks used in WW-II. I've heard there are still a few running in Russia that went there under Lend-Lease.

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
I'll probably be in a Dodge truck for the foreseeable future. A new Ram 1500 is too big and I think the allegedly coming small truck(s) will be too lifestyle oriented. Maybe someday I'll upgrade from the 1999 Dakota to a 2008+ Dakota. A Wrangler pickup might interest me, but realistically I know the small pickup market in the US is shrinking from what it was even just 10 years ago,

·
Registered
570 Posts
Regardless of what corporate politics try to do to the Dodge trucks.. It'll take generations for the Ram to no longer be a Dodge.. Just move it back and write it up as a learning experience; The Dodge Rams will roll on!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
In Sweden a Ram is a Dodge Ram- itll take forever to get the Dodge out of Ram.
The other aspect of this coin is that Dodge Ram actually supports the passcars as a
percived rugged quality workhorse- this spills over to the passcars whos ovners with pride says- yep Dodge does trucks to...

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,667 Posts
What's interesting about all this is even though my truck is a "Dodge Ram" (2006 MY), nowhere on the vehicle itself does it have a placard that says "Dodge". Just has a "Ram" head on the, sterring wheel, front grill and tailgate.

Norm - regarding Patton - except for invading Sicily with Montgomery, I don't recall where Patton commanded any armies on the Italian mainland. Patton commanded armies in North Africa, Sicily, England and France. Patton was a great general, just couldn't keep his mouth shut. Yes, he "rescued" the 101st at Bastogne, but to this day the 101st deny they needed "rescuing" - they just needed supplies and ammo.

Reactions: scarlott

·
Registered
749 Posts
What's interesting about all this is even though my truck is a "Dodge Ram" (2006 MY), nowhere on the vehicle itself does it have a placard that says "Dodge". Just has a "Ram" head on the, sterring wheel, front grill and tailgate.

Norm - regarding Patton - except for invading Sicily with Montgomery, I don't recall where Patton commanded any armies on the Italian mainland. Patton commanded armies in North Africa, Sicily, England and France. Patton was a great general, just couldn't keep his mouth shut. Yes, he "rescued" the 101st at Bastogne, but to this day the 101st deny they needed "rescuing" - they just needed supplies and ammo.
In the past I discussed the move to rescue the 101st with a friend of my dad [both the friend and my dad are now deceased]who was an engineer in Patton's 3rd Army. He agreed with me that the success of the 3rd army was largely due to Eisenhower's pulling supplies from all over Europe and even North Africa to maintain the 3rd Army's logistics tail. He said that several times they ran low on ammunition and food but never ran out.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,667 Posts
Cornupenuria said:
In the past I discussed the move to rescue the 101st with a friend of my dad [both the friend and my dad are now deceased]who was an engineer in Patton's 3rd Army. He agreed with me that the success of the 3rd army was largely due to Eisenhower's pulling supplies from all over Europe and even North Africa to maintain the 3rd Army's logistics tail. He said that several times they ran low on ammunition and food but never ran out.
Interesting. It's usually portrayed as Eisenhower diverting most of the fuel and supplies to Montgomery so he could capture the V2 missile sites. Operation Market Garden was a huge gamble that failed.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Interesting. It's usually portrayed as Eisenhower diverting most of the fuel and supplies to Montgomery so he could capture the V2 missile sites. Operation Market Garden was a huge gamble that failed.
Operation Market Garden was in September 1944 while The Battle of the Bulge was in December 1944 and January 1945. Some sources say the German "bulge" in the lines was an attempt to capture supplies, especially fuel, that had been pre-staged for Operation Market Garden.

Logistics support to the 3rd Army in December '44 and January '45 apparently bypassed some weak links in British Logistics that had been problematic in Operation Market Garden. None of the veteran participants I talked to had a clue about what the big picture was until after VE Day. There was a lot of speculation at the time and so much relief after the war was over that fact-based-analyses are probably only to be found in files of old term papers in the library at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College. Even those papers may have been written to support one thesis or another.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Doug, four of my good friends served under Patton, two as Officers, two as sergeants, lets just say they still worship him.
Revisionist history aside. ;)
They are the toughest men Ive ever met, even in their 90's.

·
Registered
749 Posts
These may not completely work until the federal government reopens but there is a lot of material available such as after-action reports and declassified proposals for weapons systems that were never built. Their search engines sometimes respond to keywords that most of us wouldn't think of. There's some good history but it takes time to dig through it.

Defense Technical Information Center http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/

Army Combined Arms Research Laboratory http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mopar392 said:
Does it really matter? It is still the same..

It was a stratigical and business call to begin with to change the Dodge Ram to just Ram..
A reporter with the Omaha World-Herald didn't get the memo: she referred to the truck only as "Dodge Ram" and accompanying graphic artwork used the former logo consisting of the Ram's head in a shield above the word "Dodge."

Whether it was a good or bad business call will be determined by sales. And at this point the Fiat-Mopar brass are not in a position to say "Oops!" Not after last month when the Ram rammed the Toyota Camry out of third place in the sales ranks of motor vehicles regardless of type (truck, car, SUV, etc.)

Although I still think of 'em as Dodges, the name change would not stop me from buying a new Ram. What's stopping me, my friends, is that I don't have the money. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts