Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As for me, we are car poor right now. I drive a 10 year old Buick Rendezvous crossover SUV that gets bad gas mileage and is way too big and things are starting to break. My wife's '07 PT has 70k miles, so she's good with her PT.

I am either going with a Jeep Patriot or a Dodge Dart. Both have their strengths and advantages. I will probably go with the Patriot (base model Sport FWD, white, with base engine). I think the only options I will get are the AC and AT. The 4WD is tempting, though, and only $2,000 more and would be sort of cool to have and would increase the resale value. But I don't really need it, I guess. Total out the door price should be under $19,000. The Dart SE with AT and Value Group (AC, power mirrors/locks, keyless entry) will be about the same price. I will probably go with white on either car, but the Laguna Blue and Deep Red/Redline colors are tempting.

I'm spending enough in gas now to make the payment on a new Patriot or Dart. What is your next purchase going to be?

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Dodge Charger most likely at this point.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Chevrolet Corvette

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
It depends on the future product. If the new "Dakota" comes into existance and is more pickup than lifestyle pickup I'd look at one of those.
Or if the 2015 Challenger is a big improvement above my 2012 (and especially if there is a convertible) I might think about upgrading.
But in reality, I'd really like to find a loaded 2008 Magnum R/T.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I've been waiting for a Hemi or diesel powered Wrangler for many years, it will be my next vehicle, if they build it.
Otherwise, we'll wait or go to rebuilding one of our existing Mopar's.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My next will most likely be a minivan, specifically a white Dodge Grand Caravan Blacktop edition... if we can buy then... the wife really, really likes the look of it.

·
Super Moderator
31,988 Posts
I'm scoping out the Dodge Dart as the eventual replacement for my 93 Dodge Daytona. It ill probably be several years away.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I won't be going with the laguna blue Dart. I googled the color, and it's too girly looking. So either the "blue streak pearl coat", "redline", or "bright white". The "winter chill" is nice, though. But I will probably go with white -- my fave car color. My last white car was a '87 Dodge Colt E 2 door hatchback that I bought in '89 (my 2nd car).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
I'm scoping out the Dodge Dart as the eventual replacement for my 93 Dodge Daytona. It ill probably be several years away.
I'm looking at the Dodge Dart as well Bob. It seems to be similar in many ways to my 2000 Dodge Neon albeit more refined. I love the Neon and it only has 94,000 miles on it so will keep it as long as I can. I bought it used with 74,000 miles on it and it's been a great car, very few minor problems. I'm in my mid 60's and don't drive as much as I used to so can hopefully get a few more years out of the old girl with proper maintenance. Cars have come a long way since my first Mopar, a 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook, back in high school :)

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
This is what I am thinking this week... subject to change...

I got a good deal on the Journey in November, and have put about 8000 km on it... (time to update the sig.file) so I would not take too much of a loss if I traded it in on a new Grand Caravan this spring... Family Value Package with the power seat option.

As for the old DGC, I would like to squeeze a couple more years of "daily beater" and "stinky dog hauling"service out of it. I don't have issue with it, but Mrs. "does not trust it" for long trips.

After that I would like to get a small to midsized car... I like the Dart, but today, beside an Avenger.... ya know where I am going... but that is at least a few months down the road... perhaps longer.

Who knows where I will be in a couple of years.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
If they keep the AVP package on the Grand Caravan we might get another van as you can get those for less than 20K . It's my wifes car as she gets the next new one. Of course being a guy I would like a Challenger or a Charger RT in one of the bright colors . Although I like the new durangos.

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
I purchased a Charger in January. I have no current plans to replace my car, but if something happened to my Stratus I don't know what I'd do. Probably buy some beater car for an everyday driver.

My brother purchased a Dart on 4/11.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,678 Posts
jd_1138 said:
What is your next purchase going to be?
As we are still paying off my wife's 2010 Journey SXT, it will be several years before we are a player in the car market. Her Journey is at 55K miles while my Ram has logged over 175K - probably hit 200K in the next year or so.

Not sure what we would get if we were in the market today. Part of the decision depends on the condition of my Ram. If it's in good shape I'd be leaning towards a Dart or V6 Challenger (one Hemi is enough....). If the Ram is ready to be retired, I'd be leaning towards a 1500 diesel or possibly a 2500 diesel - depends on whether we consider purchasing a 5th wheeler - by that time the kids should be done with college (ha ha!).

Wife wants a T&C if we ever replace the Journey. And no, for those wondering, at Grand Caravan is not acceptable to her. Period. Don't even go there. Trust me, I've tried and lost badly........

Jeff - I hear ya on the "don't trust it" issue. We tend to take the Journey on long trips unless we need the Ram. The Ram hasn't quite fallen into the "don't trust it for long trips" status. Misses doesn't care for the ride of the Ram and the Journey (obviously) gets better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My career in advance engineering had me wanting what was three years out from production, that being said, I usually hang on to a vehicle for ten years.

My next vehicle will be the redesigned Wrangler.

When my 2013 Wrangler is ten years old. However I have the ability to keep it running forever.

·
Administrator
35,280 Posts
Been thinking I might be looking to trade in our Valiant on something else — probably a K-derivation, e.g. Daytona, LeBaron (GTS or coupe), etc. Whatever falls into my lap, I guess, if I find a buyer for the Valiant. I can't have two at once.

We were going to replace our 300M with a Dart but ended up with a 300C. That empties out our car budget for a while. The 500L is tempting.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Wife's car is next due for replacement, it's an Acura Integra coupe with 140,000 miles on it. Our choice in a replacement would very much depend on what we need at the time.

Options I've been paying attention to are as follows:
  • Used Dodge Magnum - good if we have kids, lots of space, fun to drive, good towing capacity for a car. We've rented one for a roadtrip so we've already vetted it. Unfortunately discontinued before the LX vehicles got refreshed, so not as good fuel economy and not as nice interior.
  • Chrysler 300 - good for kids, decent space, fun to drive, better fuel economy. We rented an '07 for our wedding getaway car and liked it, a coworker bought a '13 and I've seen it and it's even better. Haven't driven a refreshed 300 with the Pentastar, but I have driven a Challenger with the 3.6 and if the 300's performance is as good as the Challenger then it'll be fine.
  • Chrysler 200 - okay for kids, good if just two us, good get-up-and-go, good fuel economy. We test-drove one before I bought my current daily-driver.
  • RT-chassis Minivan - Minivan could replace both my beater pickup and her car, though at a lower fuel economy than her current car. If kids are in the picture then it's a much better choice, if it's just the two of us then it's more vehicle than we need for daily use. We rented a '12 T&C, it worked great for all kinds of errands.
The Dodge Dart is interesting, but I don't know anything about it first-hand yet.

This also doesn't discuss non-Mopars that could be feasible.

·
Registered
634 Posts
An Avenger with the 6!
Bought a 2011 new for 17500.
Never a problem and 32 MPG hiway!!
I want a Dart but not until the GT or an SRT is available.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Got my '13 Ram 1500 Laramie in 5 weeks ago, and already have 7000miles on it.. Trouble free...

Cancelled my order on Charger Daytona because of the delay.. Might either purchase Ralley Redline if it continues to 2014 or wait for SRT Challenger 2015..

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Walking, if I had to replace my car right now. I can't even swing a payment on a well used Caliber right now... :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TWX said:
  • Chrysler 200 - okay for kids, good if just two us, good get-up-and-go, good fuel economy. We test-drove one before I bought my current daily-driver.
I totally forgot about the 200 and the Avenger. I will have to add that to my short list along with the Dart and the Jeep Patriot. The Dart when equipped with AT and AC is only about $1000 less than the Chrysler 200 LX that comes standard with AC and AT and a bunch of other stuff.

It's easy and so tempting to justify a move up the vehicle hierarchy when the cars are priced the way they are. Heck, a Grand Caravan with the American Value Package is only $1000 more than the Dart/200. And a Challenger is only $6k more. (rubs hands together). :)

1 - 20 of 164 Posts