Allpar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
I don't think Chrysler's new design language is going to be found looking backwards.
The 300, the PT Cruiser, the cab forward cars were hits in their time but not necessarily a design I'd call timeless like Challenger or Wrangler. Could they share some cues with earlier designs?

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
Bring back the CONCORDE as a long-range midsize electric liftback. I say it needs at least 600 miles of EV only range to be worthy of the name.
So you want to fill the entire car up with batteries? Where are you going to put passengers and luggage for that trip?

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
Benchmark the Model S.
Model S is a $95,000 car with range of around 400 miles.
You've got two problems:
1) It's still along way to 600 miles you targeted, so you need 50% more battery (actually more because you've then got to carry all that battery weight around)
2) People are unlikely to pay $95,000 (or probably more) for an electric Chrysler Concorde.

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
And this is exactly the problem with slapping the Pentastar on everything. The video titles refer to it both as a Dodge Aries and a Chrysler Aries.
Pentastar is (was) to be a corporate symbol. Not a brand symbol, especially not a symbol to be used for Dodge, Plymouth, and Chrysler brands all at once. This was a marketing (brand/logo) nightmare. Probably from Iacocca himself.

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
I had an interesting thought. I saw an article somewhere about some auto shops turning old cars into electric vehicles. What if someone could bring in their, lets say Concorde or Town & Country and convert it into an electric vehicle, could Chrysler possibly resell their old vehicles as EVs to generate profit?
Could they? Probably not. The cost would be too high, the market too small. There would be no tax incentive to convert an old car to electric in the US (unlike buying a new electric car, from anyone other than Tesla or GM).

Reactions: page2171

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
I don't know, I have already seen a few electric 'restomods' online. And there was that sci-fi movie 'Gattaca' that had a ton of old cars made electric. I would love a Studebaker Silver Hawk with an electric system installed!
Yes, those cars do exist. Problem is they are fairly expensive. Ford’s electric motor is $5k without batteries. So a conversion of a special interest car may make sense, but a conversion of an ordinary 30 year old car would not.

Reactions: page2171 and tlc

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
Idea is that it could keep cars out of junkyards, or extend their cycles to an extent. Other than accidents, people junk their cars due to mechanical issues, which could potentially be corrected by converting to an EV. It would have to be done carefully, but it's essentially recycling the cars.
Yet you end up with a modern power train but with no safety improvements. And you overlook the fact that rust will make many cars unsuitable to live on.
For less than the cost of the conversion, the car could have a remanufactured or used conventional powertrain installed - but they don't because they want a newer car.

Reactions: tlc and David S

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts

When Chrysler redoes their minivan, they should build off this generation, which is essentially a continuation of the generation that introduced their van.
There is a major reason that won’t work. Once you add required crumple zones, side impact protection, rollover protection, etc. anything that’s not a death trap on the original minivan footprint will have little useable interior space.

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
Never scrapped a MOPAR because of rust. I live in New Jersey . roads get salted. Had company vehicles so my rides did not see salt. Now retited my 09 Challenger has rust holes in front of rear wheels. i gotta blame Daimler for rush to market.
Looking for used electric to replace vehicle. Makes more sence to fix present car. @ 75 who knows how long I can drive.
Challengers rust there because the quarter panel area is filled with foam to deaden noise. Water gets in there on some and they rust.

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
I think the style of the Airflow is nice enough. It’s going to need more product alongside it to revive the brand.

Reactions: tlc and NWbyNW

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
Chrysler used to excel in interior space. The Neon and LH cars, as well as any minivan, were prime examples. But many recent vehicles are not the best. The LX and following variations were not overly roomy. Cherokee managed to take a decent exterior size and somehow end up with compromised cargo space. Renegade is boxy but narrow. The WK based Jeeps were fairly roomy, but there is no side-to-side knee room.
Passenger comfort needs to be a priority.

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
I was always surprised at how much interior space was in a Dodge Neon for the size of the car. Didn't actually feel like a small car while driving it.
Yeah, you had to duck a bit to get in, but once you were fine. Even my long legs were fine in one.

·
Super Moderator
40,850 Posts
Clothing retailers are going out of business in favor of online. Shoes, shirts, dresses, etc are all online.

People once thought they would never buy clothes without touching and trying them on first, but generous return policies and create business models have succeeded where brick and mortar did not.
Not to mention that (unless you were buying an early JL/JT) after you drive one example of a model you know how another is going to drive. So you drive a friend's car or a rental car and like it, you may be fine without the dealer test drive experience to buy the same car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts