Allpar Forums banner
221 - 240 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
1,128 Posts
For an engine that is less then half the size of the 6.4 I would've thought that highway mpg would've been at least 22. It's really not much of a gain at all, and the minute you're into the turbos it will go south quick. That's why nothing much was said about it ever. But comparison, the Navigator gets 23 mpg.
This is a good point. Small turbo engines in large vehicles have been notorious for coming nowhere near the EPA ratings out in the real world. See all the lawsuits against Ford as examples.

So realistically the 3.0 is going to make slightly more power than the 6.4 on paper, in the real world the 6.4 will likely "feel" stronger because it'll deliver the power effortlessly, and the fuel savings on the 3.0 will be non-existant. In addition, I bet the longevity won't be there. Will the 3.0 be a few-hundred-thousand mile engine like the Hemis?

Reactions: James A

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,474 Posts
Since this engine doesn't have anything going for it in the economy dept., they decided the only way to sell it was on performance. Not sure it'll do all that well there either. I'm surprised they can't understand this. Sorry, my bad, I should've known, they only know HP and torque, nothing else.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
For what its worth, the official EPA numbers are available online at fueleconomy.gov for the GW 3.0.

2wd 13/15/19
4wd 13/15/18

2wd 15/17/21 difference +2/+2/+2
4wd 14/17/20 difference +1/+2/+2

Average of 2mpg gain plus extra performance is a win in my book.
The GWL with the 510 gets better Mileage than the Escalade ESV with more power. and thats not the comparable engine cause GM has yet to give details on the supercharged V8 model.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
7,173 Posts
Since this engine doesn't have anything going for it in the economy dept., they decided the only way to sell it was on performance. Not sure it'll do all that well there either. I'm surprised they can't understand this. Sorry, my bad, I should've known, they only know HP and torque, nothing else.
2mpg is nothing to sneeze at when you are below 20mpg. It also probably will last as long as the HEMI as engine life is getting better all the time. Having worked with engines of all types, it does come down to details that make or break the experience. I just prefer to be driving instead of fixing them as I get on in years.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
As long as they've worked on it you'd think it would be class leading in virtually every way. It is not, which is extremely disappointing. Two mpg isn't much to brag about when a Ford is much better mileage wise.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
7,173 Posts
As long as they've worked on it you'd think it would be class leading in virtually every way. It is not, which is extremely disappointing. Two mpg isn't much to brag about when a Ford is much better mileage wise.
F'rd is also 600 or more lbs. lighter. Big factor and tows less. Not the same orange or apple.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,224 Posts
This is a good point. Small turbo engines in large vehicles have been notorious for coming nowhere near the EPA ratings out in the real world. See all the lawsuits against Ford as examples.

So realistically the 3.0 is going to make slightly more power than the 6.4 on paper, in the real world the 6.4 will likely "feel" stronger because it'll deliver the power effortlessly, and the fuel savings on the 3.0 will be non-existant. In addition, I bet the longevity won't be there. Will the 3.0 be a few-hundred-thousand mile engine like the Hemis?
I have a Fiat Dart 1.4T.
City mileage is a little below EPA but that's true for most cars I've driven. (Not Toyotas which tend to beat EPA.)

Highway mileage is similar depending on the road, if I have a/c off. I've gotten 42 mpg on my 300 mile drive - when I've mostly taken regular roads. Switch to the superhighway where you have to maintain 75-80 to keep up, and it drops down to 38 from the advertised 41. That said, I'm missing a piece from the underbody shell.

Just sayin’. I will bet the longevity is there - the 1980s Chrysler 2.2 and 2.5 turbo engines did as well as the TBI versions - and the fuel savings will be there. We're not talking 1.4 liters here.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,224 Posts
So have you have to idle for a few minutes to reset the sensor after adding oil. Sounds like a waste of $5 gas to reset a sensor. Why wouldn't normal use take care of the reset.
Sometimes technology gets in the way of common sense.
You'd have to ask the engineers. I doubt they'd do it this way if there wasn't a good reason. Five minutes of idling every six months to a year isn't much fuel in a modern engine. (Remember oil changes only happen when the car computer tells you to do them, in theory, which is roughly every ten months in our case.)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Some YouTube auto channels are reporting that Ram has officially stated that 2023 Ram 1500 will be 1) pushed back to October production at the earliest and 2) will offer the 3.0L Hurricane engine as an option over the Hemi V8.

I guess we knew this engine was coming for Ram all along but it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up in this application.

Reactions: World14

·
Registered
15,859 Posts
Some YouTube auto channels are reporting that Ram has officially stated that 2023 Ram 1500 will be 1) pushed back to October production at the earliest and 2) will offer the 3.0L Hurricane engine as an option over the Hemi V8.

I guess we knew this engine was coming for Ram all along but it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up in this application.
A 410 HP/450 lb-ft Torque Ram that has more HP, more Torque and marginally better fuel economy than the Hemi could be a great option.....depending on price difference.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'm still waiting reviews on the 2022 T6 Grand Wagoneers. No road tests published yet from any source.
I know right? The silence surrounding this new powertrain is kind of crazy.

·
Super Moderator
40,825 Posts
I know right? The silence surrounding this new powertrain is kind of crazy.
That concerns me. Lots of buzz about it back in April or so, including EPA MPG ratings. then radio silence.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
That concerns me. Lots of buzz about it back in April or so, including EPA MPG ratings. then radio silence.
I think they don’t want to overshadow the move towards electric. They start hyping the Hurricane and next thing you know there will be headlines of “Chrysler cancels electric: doubles down on dinosaur!” Gotta be consistent and stay on message or Else they will be swept into the dustbin of history.

·
Super Moderator
40,825 Posts
I think they don’t want to overshadow the move towards electric. They start hyping the Hurricane and next thing you know there will be headlines of “Chrysler cancels electric: doubles down on dinosaur!” Gotta be consistent and stay on message or Else they will be swept into the dustbin of history.
The problem is they said the HO Hurricane would be in a limited number of 2022 Grand Wagoneers. It appears they are now building 2023 models as far as I can tell. So where did those 2022 models go? There has to be follow up and release of publicly announced vehicles. So the headline could be "Chrysler can't deliver updated gasoline engine. Is there any hope they can deliver on electric vehicles?"

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 · (Edited)
The problem is they said the HO Hurricane would be in a limited number of 2022 Grand Wagoneers. It appears they are now building 2023 models as far as I can tell. So where did those 2022 models go? There has to be follow up and release of publicly announced vehicles. So the headline could be "Chrysler can't deliver updated gasoline engine. Is there any hope they can deliver on electric vehicles?"
That's a bit of a reach imo. I don't think the current supply chain woes (I'm assuming that's why they haven't shipped the Hurricane) will apply in 2024/2025.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. Over promise and under deliver. Big supposed roll out then crickets. And nothing from the press. I don't buy the don't want to overshadow the electrics either. Jeep is way different then Dodge. Something's up.

221 - 240 of 284 Posts