Allpar Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2,702 Posts
Inside it sounds like a typical Pentastar V6.

Outside it sounds like an Italian monster.

Love it!

·
Registered
779 Posts
jazz77 said:
It doesn't make much sense IMO, afterall Ferrari is not so focused on power, it is more about driving dynamics.
I mean people don't buy ferraris to drag race them.
A Viper is a superb handling road car,in the right hands.People don't buy Vipers to drag race them either.Power is everything.

Power to weight ratio is king

·
Registered
779 Posts
RVC said:
More to the point; you can get a corvette for much less than the price of a 458, and have similar performance. Do you see Ferrari worrying about people not buying their cars? Not really...
Corvette is not in the same 'house'.If you think Ferrari would like to be embarrassed by a Viper you would be wrong.
Take the Nurbergring for example,as you know Viper owns it.Why was there a Ferrari driver behind the wheel?
Don't get me wrong I love Ferrari's,but this kind of in house bullpoopies does happen.

I want it not to happen more than anyone else.No one designs sexier cars than the Italians

·
Registered
243 Posts
hemirunner426 said:
A Viper is a superb handling road car,in the right hands.People don't buy Vipers to drag race them either.Power is everything.

Power to weight ratio is king
I agree but you know what I mean: Ferrari never felt embarassed by other cars having more power, with the latest supercar they could have gone after the impressive maximum speed of the Bugatti Veyron but they didn't really care about it.
Simply because more power doesn't mean you are the fastest on the track.

·
Registered
148 Posts
RVC said:
I just read the MT piece where they drive the Q4 Quattroporte, and they specifically reference the Pentaster block. I've also read references to the uConnect for both this car and Ferrari's in many publications.
Huh? I linked to the Motor Trend article in my original post. While there's an extensive passage describing the development of Maserati's V6, there's not one mention of the Pentastar block or any other Chrysler involvement. Similarly, there's no mention of Uconnect.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In my opinion, I believe Ferrari has always had a bit of an ego problem. I remember Clarkson saying that the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione could have been faster that a Ferrari (same engine I believe) and quote: "In Italy, anything faster than a Ferrari is a no-no..." Also, I remember the Maserati MC12's engine being downgraded from the Enzo. Either way, I believe Ralphy-boy said that everything went out of control due to the joke he said during the Viper's reveal. "Of course, the Ferrari had to be faster, we understand that." lol. :lol:

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
svevar said:
Huh? I linked to the Motor Trend article in my original post. While there's an extensive passage describing the development of Maserati's V6, there's not one mention of the Pentastar block or any other Chrysler involvement. Similarly, there's no mention of Uconnect.
I didn't say they talked about the uConnect there, I was talking about the Pentastar. Please re-read my comment "I've ALSO read references to the uConnect for both this car and Ferrari's IN MANY publications.".

Sorry about the caps, I'm on my ipad and don't get the underline thing.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
hemirunner426 said:
Corvette is not in the same 'house'.If you think Ferrari would like to be embarrassed by a Viper you would be wrong.
Take the Nurbergring for example,as you know Viper owns it.Why was there a Ferrari driver behind the wheel?
Don't get me wrong I love Ferrari's,but this kind of in house bullcrap does happen.
Sure, for example it happened with the Maserati-based C8, but at the time Maserati was a Ferrari brand (directly under Ferrari). In that case, as in the case of the MC12, Maserati was using Ferrari bits and pieces, to build cars that were going after a very similar market; it's logical that they wouldn't have allowed the rebadges from a daughter company to be just as fast as the original items.

In this case you are talking about a Viper, a car for an entirely different customer, were finesse, comfort, luxury are nowhere to be found (rightly so), from a separate company, and LdM is no longer CEO at Fiat. Entirely different scenario.
Btw, Ralph & Co. Toured the Ferrari and Maserati factories extensively and were given ample collaboration to improve processes and interior production by doing things the same way Ferrari does them; sounds like a company scared of SRT?

I find it ridiculous to have to talk about this. If Ferrari ever felt the need to, they could develop a Viper style engine blindfolded and with hand tied behind their back. We are talking about a company that has been building successful race and road going performance cars for a century, at the very top level. They sold all of their LaFerrari production within a few days, compared to even McLaren that till today is still sitting with 1/3 of their smaller allotment unsold.

What are we talking about here!?

·
Registered
779 Posts
RVC said:
Sure, for example it happened with the Maserati-based C8, but at the time Maserati was a Ferrari brand (directly under Ferrari). In that case, as in the case of the MC12, Maserati was using Ferrari bits and pieces, to build cars that were going after a very similar market; it's logical that they wouldn't have allowed the rebadges from a daughter company to be just as fast as the original items.

In this case you are talking about a Viper, a car for an entirely different customer, were finesse, comfort, luxury are nowhere to be found (rightly so), from a separate company, and LdM is no longer CEO at Fiat. Entirely different scenario.
Btw, Ralph & Co. Toured the Ferrari and Maserati factories extensively and were given ample collaboration to improve processes and interior production by doing things the same way Ferrari does them; sounds like a company scared of SRT?

I find it ridiculous to have to talk about this. If Ferrari ever felt the need to, they could develop a Viper style engine blindfolded and with hand tied behind their back. We are talking about a company that has been building successful race and road going performance cars for a century, at the very top level. They sold all of their LaFerrari production within a few days, compared to even McLaren that till today is still sitting with 1/3 of their smaller allotment unsold.

What are we talking about here!?
We are talking about a Dodge product that could make more power than a Ferrari product and maybe Ferrari doesn't like it.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
hemirunner426 said:
We are talking about a Dodge product that could make more power than a Ferrari product and maybe Ferrari doesn't like it.
As has been said many times, here. Ferrari won't care. Ferrari is Ferrari. It has no peers. McLaren tries, but a McLaren is still not a Ferrari. Marchionne hisself said that he would not let one sibling dumb down another. Ferrari has said as much. Ferrari isn't run like the rest of the F-C stablemates, it gets its own special place, and consideration, and is almost always left to its own devices.

Ferrari could care less, if the Viper makes more power than anyhting in its stable. Heck, if it did, they would probably assist in helping it to do so.

The Viper is a huge engine. It doesn't need a lot of the fancy stuff to make big power, it does it with dispalcement. It carries its weight a lot lower than a 4VDOHC engine. It doesn't need 4 valves or DOHC, or a lot of that stuff. It uses dispalcement instead of these complexities. It is LOTS cheaper to build. IT doesn't need to rev as high. The Viper is good road car, but it does not have what a Ferrari has for the simple fact, that it isn't a Ferrari.

Does a Ferrari buyer buy a Ferrari, AND A Viper? Sure. Does a Ferrari buyer buy a Viper INSTEAD of a Ferrari, not really. At least Ferrari isn't worried.

Ferrari has never been about making big power numbers. It is about making the cars they want to make, in order to fund the race efforts. Google wiki. The Chrysler Hemi's were making more power in the 50's than Ferrari was making at the time. Ferrari wasn't worried then, they are not worried now.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
hemirunner426 said:
Good thing they don't have any say in it. Tempest-in-a-teapot.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Muther said:
As has been said many times, here. Ferrari won't care. Ferrari is Ferrari. It has no peers. McLaren tries, but a McLaren is still not a Ferrari. Marchionne hisself said that he would not let one sibling dumb down another. Ferrari has said as much. Ferrari isn't run like the rest of the F-C stablemates, it gets its own special place, and consideration, and is almost always left to its own devices.

Ferrari could care less, if the Viper makes more power than anyhting in its stable. Heck, if it did, they would probably assist in helping it to do so.

The Viper is a huge engine. It doesn't need a lot of the fancy stuff to make big power, it does it with dispalcement. It carries its weight a lot lower than a 4VDOHC engine. It doesn't need 4 valves or DOHC, or a lot of that stuff. It uses dispalcement instead of these complexities. It is LOTS cheaper to build. IT doesn't need to rev as high. The Viper is good road car, but it does not have what a Ferrari has for the simple fact, that it isn't a Ferrari.

Does a Ferrari buyer buy a Ferrari, AND A Viper? Sure. Does a Ferrari buyer buy a Viper INSTEAD of a Ferrari, not really. At least Ferrari isn't worried.

Ferrari has never been about making big power numbers. It is about making the cars they want to make, in order to fund the race efforts. Google wiki. The Chrysler Hemi's were making more power in the 50's than Ferrari was making at the time. Ferrari wasn't worried then, they are not worried now.
Great,lets hope they don't care.Lets hope they help.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Muther said:

This. 100 percent.
Apples and oranges customers, engines, and approaches.
It would be like Viper caring that Charger has more trunk space.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Welll there was Proof that a Ferrari Owner did try to trade in his 2009 Ferrari for a new GTS Viper but hes asking price of 160K was ridiculous....

·
Premium Member
20,250 Posts
69DartGTS said:
Welll there was Proof that a Ferrari Owner did try to trade in his 2009 Ferrari for a new GTS Viper but hes asking price of 160K was ridiculous....
And the fact remains he wanted something different, not something that was equivalent, just newer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
RVC said:
I didn't say they talked about the uConnect there, I was talking about the Pentastar. Please re-read my comment "I've ALSO read references to the uConnect for both this car and Ferrari's IN MANY publications.".

Sorry about the caps, I'm on my ipad and don't get the underline thing.
Please re-read the Motor Trend article. There is no mention of the Pentastar. None.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1305_2014_maserati_quattroporte_s_q4_first_drive/

I'm not trying to argue with you, only pointing out that Motor Trend didn't acknowledge any of the Quattroporte's Chrysler roots. Were the situation the other way around, the author almost certainly would have highlighted Maserati's contribution. Much like the infamous "300 is just a last generation E Class" flap from 2004.

·
Super Moderator
13,936 Posts
IMHO Ferrari has no need to be the 'ballsiest' in the numbers department since it has something called 'street cred' already. And at least the newer Ferraris are quite impressive machines in their own right. In other words: the Italian brand doesn't fear Viper and I doubt Viper fears the former either.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,196 Posts
hemirunner426 said:
From Motortrend

2014 viper ACR might be neutered for Ferrari's sake.The Viper is not allowed to exceed the power-to-weight ratio of the F12 Berlinetta sitting at 5.2 pounds per horsepower.Speculation is that the Viper's V10 can make more horsepower than the Ferrari's V12.
It would not be the first time in Chrysler history that Dodge disobeyed Headquarters. I believe engineers enjoy a challenge, that is how progress is made.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts