1,095 Posts
You know what's laughable?
National
Association (for)
Stock
Car

Auto
Racing

the stock car part of it. Trans Am as I've said on here several times, is much more in the spirit of the original NASCAR, than the present version of NASCAR is. That's what's laughable.
Good days for competition? The reason why the lead car was 4 laps up was that they were BETTER, not ALL THE SAME! There was more competition between engine builders, chassis builders and tuners etc. And most of all, there was an interest between the race car and the production car, which still exists in Trans Am, but is gone completely from NASCAR.....

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
IROC, part 2, the Movie........

Build 40 chassis EXACTLY the same, and they will ALL run different speeds!!
Same with engines, build 40 the same, 40 different HP curves....

In any event, it'll be interesting to see what happens and if the fans like it or not.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
This is quite a stretch. To think that moving to a new generation of race vehicle in NASCAR is going to cause "true race enthusiasts" to turn to street racing is laughable.

From what I see in metro Detroit, there is more "hot rodding" going on in the last 10 years than ever before, well at least going back to the 60s!

Appears we're already there...

·
Registered
908 Posts
Good days for competition? The reason why the lead car was 4 laps up was that they were BETTER, not ALL THE SAME!
And the reason 25 cars finish the race on the lead lap today is because we have a lot more of those BETTER teams. It's been that way for years now, even well before the COT starting to bring things closer to spec. As an example... Dodge's first win when they come back in 2001, the Southern 500, Ward Burton won over Jeff Gordon. Nearly half the field was on the lead lap, 19 of 43 cars. This was well before all the cars were ALL THE SAME as you say. Teams got better and competition was tighter. This year's Southern 500... of the 39 cars in the race, only 12 finished on the lead lap. So in this example, we are closer to the days of old, as far as results go, than we were 20 years ago.

Do you really want to go back to the days when 1 team has the entire field covered? The 2016 Coke 600, Truex sat on the pole and led 392 of 400 laps. No one stood a chance and it was absolutely the worst race of the season. Is that what people yearn for week in and week out?

I applaud NASCAR for trying to get costs under control. If this is how they do it, that's fine by me. I'll watch and see what the on track product looks like. This idea that going to a spec chassis will destroy NASCAR? Not going to happen. What will destroy NASCAR is teams needing $20-30 million a car to be competitive. And they need that much money to maybe break even on the costs to run the team and fund the constant R&D on every piece of the car. How much money will teams save if they aren't allowed to spend $1 million hoping to improve a spindle, instead just having to buy one from the selection offered by the approved vendors? Add that up for every single part that teams dump money in hoping to find an advantage and you're talking saving the teams millions of dollars every year. Suddenly, that 20th place team with a small budget with a good driver and smart crew chief can contend because of their talent instead of be held back by their budget.

If you want to walk away from NASCAR, by all means, go watch something else. But I think it's best to give the gen 7 a chance before writing it off as the death of NASCAR.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The only way I would give gen 7 a chance is a Dodge name on the car. That ain't happening, so I'll continue restoring my antique tractor with the money I'd spend on race tickets.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
The only way I would give gen 7 a chance is a Dodge name on the car. That ain't happening, so I'll continue restoring my antique tractor with the money I'd spend on race tickets.

And................a Dodge motor powering the car. It doesn't bother me that much if there is a common chassis being used - with all the safety requirements added over the past decades, the chassis have been evolving into (almost) spec chassis anyway. I'll go to open wheel races to pull for Mopar engined vehicles even though the bodies are virtually spec. Same for NHRA Funny Cars and Fuelers. Once Nascar goes to spec motors for their spec bodies, then I will truly be done with them.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
From another site:

The big change with the new spec chassis car coming for 2021 will be devastating for the existing NASCAR industry. In short, NASCAR is going to one chassis supplier (Dallara). The cars will arrive in kit form and be assembled by the teams. They will get a Five Star composite body (similar to truck and Xfinity). It will have a transaxle and independent rear suspension. Maybe, it will retain 5 lug wheels. It is estimated it will put 1500 trades people out of work in the Charlotte area. No more chassis fabricators, no manufacturing of in-house parts. No body hangers.

Reactions: mdh1776

·
Registered
3,780 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
The 2016 Coke 600, Truex sat on the pole and led 392 of 400 laps. No one stood a chance and it was absolutely the worst race of the season. Is that what people yearn for week in and week out?
Yeah, that was a boring race unless you were a Truex fan. They just happen to hit on the setup that night and no one else did. Sunday's championship race was some what of a snooze fest in the end. There was some drama on the late restarts with all the championship contenders bunched up front. In the end it came down to who didn't make any mistakes (KB). Hamlin's crew was too aggressive with the tape on the grill, Truex's team mounted the wrong tires up front and Harvick stayed out too long after the others pitted. Truex had the best and fastest car, but ran out of laps trying to close in on Busch. If I recall correctly, only 10 cars were on the lead lap at the end. Larson might have won the race had his engine not let go. Byron might have contended for the win had the oil pump not failed.

Some tracks are like that where if one team hits on the setup it's a long day for everyone else. Dover, Bristol, Charlotte, Darlington come to mind. If you go more than a lap down at any of those tracks, you might as well pack it in unless events play out in your favor.

I applaud NASCAR for trying to get costs under control.
Racing has always been expensive. In the past how much money an owner spent played a big part in how fast or good the car was. It'll be interesting when the Gen 7 car is used in 2021. I don't mind the spec chassis, but when it comes to the engines let the teams have some room to work with. If Dodge, Chevrolet, Ford or Toyota have a better engine then the others will have to come up with a better engine. As it is now, unless a driver is with one of the top tier teams (JGR, SHR, HMS, Penske), it's rare for an underfunded team to run in the top 10 let alone win.

·
Valued Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Joe Gibbs Racing among bidders for Next Gen car chassis

BY
SCOTT PAGE NOVEMBER 22, 2019 AT 5:03 AM

Using a Request For Proposal-type process, NASCAR is soliciting bids on suppliers for the various stock elements that the new [Next Gen] car will have, principally the chassis (in a structure that will resemble how Dallara supplies IndyCar teams with a standard chassis).

Multiple people familiar with the Next Gen process but who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly told NBCSports.com that there are at least three companies being considered seriously to build the chassis.

That list includes Joe Gibbs Racing, which is one of multiple Cup teams that inquired about bidding on the chassis.

It isn’t unusual for a Cup team to build chassis for others (such as Hendrick Motorsports, Roush Fenway Racing and JGR) have counted rivals as clients. But it would be new to have a single team that builds chassis for the entire field.

Phelps mostly demurred when asked by NBCSports.com how NASCAR would handle that arrangement.

“With respect to those that are in the RFPs to build the car, I don’t want to get into specifics about where that is,” Phelps said. “There would obviously need to be a separation between that race team and whatever part or the vehicle itself that’s being put together.

Phelps said NASCAR has another test of the new car in a few weeks, and Toyota had a Next Gen body in a wind tunnel last week for the second time.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Is a field of Toyotas next?

Ed may remember this! In the early 2000s. Marlin's Intrepid won and was fast. They brought the chassis to the Chrysler Tech Center and measured everything on that chassis. The duplicated it as exactly as possible.
It wasn't as fast!

If one company builds 50 chassis, exactly the same, they would turn 50 different lap times in a controlled test.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Is a field of Toyotas next?

Ed may remember this! In the early 2000s. Marlin's Intrepid won and was fast. They brought the chassis to the Chrysler Tech Center and measured everything on that chassis. The duplicated it as exactly as possible.
It wasn't as fast!

If one company builds 50 chassis, exactly the same, they would turn 50 different lap times in a controlled test.
I always wondered if chassis supplied by one team owner (in this case Gibbs) would not be missing just a little something that the building company would be providing to it's own teams.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How ironic. Italian chassis builder building for Nascar, and an Italian car builder not involved. That there's funny.
Plus the series is being patterned after IMSA who just turned their future over to a French organization, the ACO when it comes to rules for their top class.

Bryan France was an idiot but Jim France is senile who has spent too much time drinking french wine at lemans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing the team all said they wanted to fix was the cost associated with running a super speedway, a road circuit, and smaller speedways. They all said it was killing them. They had to either have totally different cars for each style of racing, or spend time and money and parts converting one car between each configuration.

I am sure that is one thing this will accomplish is equalizing, and reducing those costs. The teams are driving this, not NASCAR (is what I suspect), and the teams are screaming for NASCAR to reduce the cost it takes to get a car to the track, ready to race, compete, and hopefully win.
Do you really think this is going to fix cost?

Have you priced a Dallara chassis lately?

The ACO set the cost of an LMP2 spec chassis at 480,000 euros.

That is half a million dollars.

The Stock car may not cost that much but even if it is half that you are talking about $250,000 per chassis.

Each team has at least a dozen cars in the shop.

They carry two to the track each week.

They have two being prepared for the next week.

These chassis CANNNOT be repaired in house and must be sent back to the Dallara shop for repairs.

I just had a cold shiver go up my spine. What if hey add a freaking sharkfin to the cup cars.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Does this mean that Dallara is the winning bidder to build the Nascar chassis? I haven't seen anything final on that. What have I missed?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Does this mean that Dallara is the winning bidder to build the Nascar chassis? I haven't seen anything final on that. What have I missed?
You haven't missed anything. NASCAR has not announced a manufacturer for the chassis at this point. Supposedly there are 2 test cars with a third being built so a multi-car test can take place at Auto Club Speedway after the race weekend there in early March.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not much will really be lost since whoever is fired while possibly be rehired or someone else in their place will be rehired for the dallara chassis.
You sir are full of it I'm going to debunk you....In 2022 NASCAR teams will do away with 30% of there chassis fabricators (I could be one of them) the chances of a rehire is limited at best during this climate. As for getting a job at dallara I hope you like Italy because that is were the cars are built. By supporting these cars in any fashion your supporting sending American jobs overseas there is no way around it....I bet you thought that you didn't support American jobs going overseas...Do you ?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts