Allpar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,604 Posts
Some minor changes, but overall, the average person will not be able to tell the difference between this and the first models that came out.

But us being Mopar fans, we can see the difference. I do like the headlight changes and while I personally like the shape of the vehicle.... it is really time for a new generation of this thing. It isn't selling like they'd hoped and it's behind the competition in terms of things that people actually want now days, tech, safety, etc.

The Renegade say 15k drop in sales from 2020 to 2021. Overall, sales peaked in 2016 with 106k. We're now at 47k and it has been dropping every year since 2016. Time for a complete overhaul and new generation of the Renegade.
I didn't care much for the renegade when it first came out because of the front end. This minor facelift makes it at least 2x better to me.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Jeep doesn't need this vehicle, Chrysler does. The "Renegade" should be going after GM's Trax/Encore...this vehicle can't do that as a Jeep.
People that are looking to buy a Trax/Encore won't cross shop this because it looks "butch", and the Jeep crowd laughes at the restyled FIAT "Barbie Jeep".
Chrysler needs it? Chrysler doesn't need any SUV in its lineup. The encore is ugly and isn't even rated good. If anything it hurts Buicks image. The Trax isn't that much better either. I don't even know what you mean when you say it looks "butch". Sure it might not be a "true" jeep.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Jeep is the SUV brand.

Arguably, renegade v Buick are not really cross shopped. Their styling is very different, the lifestyle they chase is different too. I don't think Jeep needs to try to corner every SUV market share. The renegade is a beginner Jeep, and it's not a bad one. It's just not what everyone wants or needs.

I bought a used trailhawk a week ago. So far, so good. All I've read on the various groups is a few little electrical things and how good this thing is in snow, and they're not even all Trailhawk.

We just wish our old one could upgrade to uconnect 5. Lol

Chrysler.. they haven't figured out other than they're trying to to keep it. We don't know what direction they're going and the airflow concept was lovely a design language test. And a "we're not dead yet" lol
Yes Jeep is the SUV brand so I don't see the need to muddle the waters by adding a SUV or crossover to the Chrysler brand. It's just gonna confuse the buyers more as to what they are.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
There already is a cheap Wrangler, 2 doors and a subcompact car wheelbase, it's the one real purists want.

Trailhawks are right for Jeep, but Jeep ought to at least mean as much as Subaru and be all AWD. Dodge and Chrysler need FWD/AWD SUVs to compete with Honda/Toyota/Nissan and Acura/Lexus/Infiniti respectively, the little Jeeps just aren't competitive with them. Not giving SUVs to Dodge and Chrysler is all kinds of wrong in a market that is half SUV.
The way I see it, and always seen it, 2 door Jeep Wranglers have always been the true Wrangler. I don't own one and never will but that's how I see it. Also considering I rode in the back of a 4 door Wrangler it was awful and might as well been a afterthought IMO.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I would’ve loved a 4-door Wrangler after I had my TJ, but they weren’t a thing at the time, not for a few more years. I got a Liberty Renegade instead...not really in the same league, but a great Jeep for me over the years. I see very few 2-door Wranglers, of any year, out and about. It’s almost all 4-doors.

I think there are those who really love the 2-doors and buy them, there are those that love them, but buy a 4-door instead for whatever reason, and there are those who love the 4-door versions. To each their own, but you can’t argue with take rate, and it’s far lower for 2-door models.

Jeep owners are a strange and quirky bunch, and each will swear by their own preferences.
I personally don't like the Wranglers from the 80's and 90's in terms of enjoyment while driving. It feels like riding around on a jack hammer. I much preferred my 98 Grand Cherokee and it had all the creature comforts I wanted while also giving a pleasant ride.

Also should be criminal to put a person bigger than a child in the back of those 4 door wranglers if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
When I got my first apartment after moving out of my parents house, I temporarily used the back seat from my TJ as my couch…it wasn’t well suited for that purpose by any stretch, so that didn’t last long. Lol. Nope, sitting in the back seat wasn’t much fun then, though it’s probably more enjoyable now in the JL…but it’s not for everybody. Some will never get why Wranglers are so popular, and so loved. Loud, uncomfortable (relatively), vibrations, etc. I love them, always have and always will, but I understand why some do not, my wife being one of them! :LOL: (But she puts up with me and my Jeeps).
I can't even imagine sleeping in the back of one of the TJ's! Would probably wake up looking like a pretzel!! :ROFLMAO:

As my dad says, It's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.